AW buying from family now

Old 08-16-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AW buying from family now

Has anyone experienced or dealt with their loved one actively buying a prescription from another family member?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mother provides drugs to my sister. There, I said it.

It doesn't really change anything when it comes to me working on my own recovery - but it did require greater detachment from my mother in addition to my sister. I struggled a lot with how angry it made me, and still makes me, but there is nothing I can do to change her behavior just like I can't change my sister's behavior, so I try to just focus on cleaning up my side of the street, so to speak.

My mother knows how I feel, and engaging with her only results in hurt and anger all around, so it really is best handled with the same tools and techniques used to deal with an active addict. Because that's basically what she is also, in her own way. They are totally enmeshed with one another.

As in my sister's case, depending on your wife's exact situation it doesn't bode well for her recovery to have drugs readily available in the immediate environment. It doesn't make it impossible, but the situation is obviously far from ideal.