Notices

Help with coping with craving

Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with coping with craving

Over 3 years I've been trying to come free from alcohol started drinking heavy to overcome a life change that happened to me couldn't get over it still can't been in hospital for a detox failed ,tried many times myself failed, Had many failed relationships threw it. My partner now moved out, couldn't cope with my habit. I have a georous 6 year old that hasn't had much attention from me over years. But I'll be damned to let that progress.
I've been stopped 2 half months now. Normality can't go over a month, realised that my gril needs her mum and I'm noticing the affect of a connection with her feel so much better in myself, my partner and me are talking again.I go to arcas group that I find dose help for the short time, but then you are on your own. I have one to one concealing but feel all we do is talk. I'm on campral helps a
Little, I'm just wondering if people have some good strategies to cope with anxious feeling that I have the craving is so hard sometimes.
Cheers thanks for reading
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think the most important thing with cravings is to not give in to them and eventually they'll go away. Sounds stupid and obvious I know, but it feels at the time that you will feel that way forever but they really do lessen. I get the odd urge now but it is entirely psychological whereas before there was a definite physical sensation coupled with anxiety. Look up something called 'urge surfing'. That is something I found really useful. And again, it seems really basic, but my biggest tool was distraction. Just do something else til it goes away. You could always come here and chat for a bit til it passes too x
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've read up on 'urge surfing' as per some recommendations on this site and love it. Not that it makes the period of utter crave any easier, but you do get used to riding them out and saying, after they are gone for now, Wow that's gone for now.

I also am thinking these days about how suffering through this stuff (as long as it isn't actually physically dangerous ie DTs etc) is good for us. Getting better at dealing. Getting better at suffering like every other sober animal on this planet. Learning to suffer well, that is.

Good luck, stay strong.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep busy during a craving and it will go away. I used to walk my dogs when I had cravings and it worked. They loved the walks and I stayed sober.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was helped by NOT thinking about drinking. The urge isn't there when I did that and it became a good habit. BE WELL
Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi sparkle, I suggest "urge surfing". A method of minimizing cravings and anxieties. Google it if you want. It sure helps me. I no longer have panic attacks. Best wishes
Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D