Notices

Craving.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving.

Today is day 3 and the cravings are starting badly. So far ive had 4 cans of coke and 2 bags of sweets, 2 bags of crisps and biscuits. I never normally eat but everytime i stop the sugar cravings get me hahah!

I'm not gonna cave and am looking forward to fantastic weekend with my daughter doing cinema, playing at park and generally being a kid myself hahah! I looked at the shop in disgust earlier and am actually going to a different shop now that doesnt sell booze.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I have a local shop that doesn't sell booze too. It's a blessing I find drinking fresh pineapple juice with lemonade, gives that sugar fix
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey RJ,
Walks (or any kind of exercise) help me. I also do breathing exercises. Breathe all the way out, then breathe in for 4 seconds, hold it for 4 seconds, then breathe out for 4 seconds. If 4 seconds is too long, then adjust accordingly. This is a trick my therapist taught me. It resets the brain and interrupts anxious/obsessive thoughts. I found it to be effective most of the time.

Take Care,
Cas
Old 08-16-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to take my dogs for a walk every time I had a bad craving... they got a lot of walks for a while but I didn't drink.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

this technique was helpful to me too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey RJ. I'm so glad to know you're hanging tough : ) Way to go on your first few days of sobriety. It just gets better. It really does.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I slept through the first weeks of soberity. I would hang out here and read and post. I can believe I got through it. I do know how you feel. It is the most worthwhile suffering I ever had. Hang in there!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

I know it is hard to believe but cravings do eventually stop if you don't return to drinking. I found "urge surfing" useful- cravings are largely predictable, do not last long, do not harm you- they feel awful but each craving you endure weakens the addiction.

Hang tough- and focus on things to enjoy
Old 08-17-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cravings...sometimes I don't even know I have one

Thank you for posting about cravings. This is my first post ever! I am a recovered alcoholic but now addicted to pills...and having a tough time getting clean....but I'm going to keep trying to throw the proverbial spaghetti against the wall till a piece sticks. I am so scared about what I'm doing to my body and to my life, but can't seem to overcome "cravings" yet. I think I can't even call them cravings yet because i haven't stopped for long enough!!! its like a compulsion that washes over me like a wave and I turn into a zombie.....the tidal pulls me in the same old direction without any fight on my part...

I liked the breathing tecnique 4 second in, hold, out that someone mentioned. I'm going to keep reading... I need all the ideas I can get. Can someone tell me about the first time they remember getting one of these complusions and being able to see it before acting upon it... observe it...and let it pass? What did that feel like? what did you do to make it pass? what is the mind process like needed to flip that swich and retrain your brain to take a different path? I know I did it with alcohol 14 years ago but for the life of me I can't seem to do it now with the pills.... I hope my description of what I'm feeling makes sense! I really want to stay clean just for one day, a whole bunch of days in a row.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Escapist. I've done nothing BUT sleep the past 24 hours. Can't seem to sit still for 5 mins or I nod off I'm just going with it though - or at least while I'm in the house. Might get a few odd looks in public lol
Old 08-17-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Grind through the cravings, stare at a wall for 24 hours if you have to , you won't have to go through this stage again if you grind grind through it. I crave every now and then , but I just laugh it off now . Good luck.