Notices

I lost my best friend

Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I lost my best friend

I've heard this mentioned before, mostly at meetings....the thought of losing your best friend - AL COHOL. Al is no friend. Let me tell you why:

What "best friend" would drag you down to depths you never thought possible, make you do things you wouldn't normally do, hurt people that you love, put you in dangerous situations, make you feel sick, screw with your body and your mind and generally be a negative impacter in your life?

If that were a real person, would you keep them around? Would they truly be your "best friend"?

This made a huge impact on me. Maybe it'll help someone struggling today (if you are, I / we are here!!!). Maybe it'll help someone in the future who struggles. Or maybe I'm just full of horse hockey! LOL!!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and i thought of alcohol as poison , as it was to me.

so, would you drink DRANO, and if you made it past the first time you drank it would you continue to drink it.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My friend Wine was forever getting me in some kind of trouble. I ended up despising this so called "friend" in the end. I still grieved the loss though. I get it.. Keep walking forward.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too was a wino and thought I couldn't live without it. Not so.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wino #3 here! I felt like you all did. I, too, grieve the loss. Not the taste, not the result, not the consequences.....just the feeling that something close to me is missing. Does that sound odd?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
and i thought of alcohol as poison , as it was to me.
You probably already know this but alcohol is poison. Not in a funny way, it really is. I never knew this until my counselor told me. In fact I laughed when she used the term. I thought that she was referring to circumstances like when a bartender would tell you to name your poison.

I thought it was just a figure of speech. However,every time you drink you are poisoning yourself.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oh yes, i know that.

but we drank it anyway.

PineSol could have been just as yummy
Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roberooski View Post
Wino #3 here! I felt like you all did. I, too, grieve the loss. Not the taste, not the result, not the consequences.....just the feeling that something close to me is missing. Does that sound odd?
Not odd. When the "friend" is chronically in your life, there is something missing. My new friend is watered down Italian Soda. I have a bunch of Wine glasses from my "Glory Days" that I was thinking I would start using for my smoothies and Italian Soda elixirs. Do you think I should get rid of the glasses? I have no triggers with the glasses. I drank my Wine from coffee mugs, more sturdy.
I was worried if company came over ( never going to happen) that they may need a sophisticated glass of some sort? No? Hmmm......tangent