Notices

Snarfle or Ploink ?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
quat

Snarfle or Ploink ?

Snarfle or ploink ?

Since my AV seems to talk to me in my native tongue, I bet I can confuse it.

I quit intoxicating, but I 'drink' all the time, still. ThrowBack Pepsi , my wife has been using this awesome sweettea recipe of late, good ole H2O you get the picture
So the plan is to train myself to associate consumption of alcoholic beverages with either 'snarfle' or 'ploink'. As in when passing a bar I will think to myself ," I bet there is a lot of snarfling( or ploinking) going on in there".
Since I now acknowledge my AV, I bet it will have to decide on word choice.
If I hear "you (we) should get a drink", I will think " yeah great idea, I am thirsty hmm Pepsi or water?" and the beauty is , if AV chooses the new vocabulary and says "you (we) should ploink" , I will think "first of all that is a dumbass idea, and secondly you really are a dumbass, what kinda dumbass word is that?!, sheesh you dumbass"
The only flaw I see, is which is better snarfle or ploink?
Silly giddiness , sorry
Well not really sorry, I'd rather be dumbass silly in the am , then well you know
Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the chuckle
Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Dounds entertaining!!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Snarfle or ploink ?

Since my AV seems to talk to me in my native tongue, I bet I can confuse it.

I quit intoxicating, but I 'drink' all the time, still. ThrowBack Pepsi , my wife has been using this awesome sweettea recipe of late, good ole H2O you get the picture
So the plan is to train myself to associate consumption of alcoholic beverages with either 'snarfle' or 'ploink'. As in when passing a bar I will think to myself ," I bet there is a lot of snarfling( or ploinking) going on in there".
Since I now acknowledge my AV, I bet it will have to decide on word choice.
If I hear "you (we) should get a drink", I will think " yeah great idea, I am thirsty hmm Pepsi or water?" and the beauty is , if AV chooses the new vocabulary and says "you (we) should ploink" , I will think "first of all that is a dumbass idea, and secondly you really are a dumbass, what kinda dumbass word is that?!, sheesh you dumbass"
The only flaw I see, is which is better snarfle or ploink?
Silly giddiness , sorry
Well not really sorry, I'd rather be dumbass silly in the am , then well you know

Whenever you pass a bar you can be sure that there is plenty of snarfling AND ploinking going on in there. Probably a good bit of goarfelching too. Best to stay away from all that!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like the idea. This is a mind game, and we get to make up alllllll the rules. Why not add moral consequences to the snarfling? Something like,

'You really need to have a snarfle.'
'Snarfle? And kill cute little furry baby kittens? Never!'

Personally, I add driving drunk and killing some mother's infant child and destroying a dozen lives forever, but I think you have a great idea there.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What ever gets you through the day !

Personally I think that the alchie part of me is not the sharpest tool in the box so I promise it that tomorrow we will indulge in the sort of binge-drink that would make the front pages of the newspapers. Really go to town. But tomorrow. Not today. Today we can show them all that we dont need a pathetic glass of rotten fruit or vegetable juice to make us content.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

I take the stance that I would like to use whatever gets me through my life.

Instead of engaging in a daily struggle with my "alchie" part, I promised it I will never drink again. Its kinda pissed and I'm glad.

Actually I edited this because , I don't see it as 'whatever gets me through my life( a pessimistic , determinist view)" but as how best to live my life to the fullest
Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I love it! I think humor is a great way to combat the AV and even just basic thoughts about drinking in general. I have actually had to hold myself back from posting some comments. I come to the realization that although I feel that way that it might not be taken as that and might be perceived as I'm making light of a serious situation. This I would never do.

Besides, who wants to snarfle or ploink? All that does is to make you redrunkulous and then you just end up speaking drunkenese.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

Yeah, I think it's ya know ok to be humorous
Add to that: just being here( me and others on this site) it would be assumed that that is "as serious as a heartattack"
Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take the stance that I would like to use whatever gets me through my life.

Instead of engaging in a daily struggle with my "alchie" part, I promised it I will never drink again. Its kinda pissed and I'm glad.

Actually I edited this because , I don't see it as 'whatever gets me through my life( a pessimistic , determinist view)" but as how best to live my life to the fullest
I get that but I know that I cannot claim I will never drink again. Its impossible. But for the next 24 hours ? That I can do, and even then I need help.

I can only speak for myself but I have promised myself, time and time again, that I would never drink again and within days I was. The notion of 'forever' is just one I cannot grasp.

But today ? Yep, that I can get my head around.

Obviously its all horse for courses but I have had to stop fighting, and baiting, the alchie part of me and just accept that it is there and always will be. And it is willing to give me a break when it comes to just not drinking for the next 24 hours. I have to be grateful for that.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

It seems though that these two (opposing ?) views are both generated by the individual mindsets that create or recognize them, and that either is freely chosen.

One I think assigns too much power to the 'part' that is seemingly responsible for drinking and not enough to the 'part' that is the genuine thinking 'you/me', the genuine part that has committed to not drinking is really in control and can remain so .

Forever and never , are potentialities and as such can not be experienced. The 'part' that defines them as experiencable (?) is trying to assign itself power by fooling the other' part' into thinking that since forever is so 'big' and undefeatable to not even try, so it can wage battle everyday and count on the odds, the sheer number of nows and continual battles to eventually win and get what it wants.

Both ways of looking at it are really nothing more than individually manufactured mindsets , I choose the one that gives the thinking 'me' the power. In the end it really is whatever works for anyone, I just think one is easier and more freeing.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Both ways of looking at it are really nothing more than individually manufactured mindsets , I choose the one that gives the thinking 'me' the power. In the end it really is whatever works for anyone, I just think one is easier and more freeing.

What works works but I tried for decades to give the 'me' the power and it failed. Time and time again. But if it works for you then excellent. I have just had to concede that I am not strong enough to deal with it on my own.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Cormat
I wish you the best on whatever path you choose, sincerely.

I couldn't stay quit either, but I think the reason I couldn't was because of the mindset I freely chose. The one from authority that said I had an openended disease that I was powerless to combat and that was basically all I needed to hear to continually give up.
I recently adopted a different mindset, I have honestly never felt this way about staying quit before and it's because of dropping the old mindset that proved to be ineffectual.

Again sincere best wishes not only with abstinence but a happier life as well