Notices

Good news but confused

Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good news but confused

Hey guys its been a while, i hope you are all keeping well

So i tried to quit drinking on Monday AGAIN! it's now like my 10th attempt or something like that ( embarrassing for me ) anyways by monday afternoon i started to feel REALLY bad, i suddenly got a fever MASSIVE pain in my right eye and temple, i was shaking feeling dizzy and in all honesty i was scared that i was goona die! Anyways long story short i went to the hospital they gave me some meds ( diazipam i think? ) to calm me down, they done tests on my liver and there is NO damage which is GREAT news i am so relieved! However the doctor told me that i shouldnt just stop straight away because i could have fits and that i need to cut it down bit by bit every week.

Thats so confusing for me! Now im scared to try and go cold turkey again! He has given me a prescription for diazipam to help with the cravings!

Whats your opinion on this?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tapering is very difficult for most alcoholics. Is there a detox center you can go to for medically supervised detox? I did mine cold turkey at home alone and am lucky to be here. I wish I would have listened and had medical supervision but with no insurance it was too expensive. Quitting alcohol when having been a heavy drinker can be fatal, please be careful. I am glad you went to the hospital.

Oh yeah, welcome and please keep us updated.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi chilledice

I'm not a Dr but if were me, it would definitely be worth the time and the money to see another Dr, and get a second opinion.

If there is any danger of seizures I'd like to trust in something a little more concrete than a vague 'cut down, there's a good chap' kind of directive?

D
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah i kinda thought his attitude was odd, nice and friendly but i didnt expect for him just to casually say that i need to cut down, im just so scared now to go cold turkey, i have never had bad withdrawls like that before! i was always emotionally dependant i never thought i was physically hooked on the stuff!

LuLu the waiting list to go into a detox center is ages and ages so i feel kinda stuck now on what to do!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Chilled.

I have no experience related, just wanted to welcome you back and wish all the best)

And I agree with Dee - it won't hurt to know another opinion - there should be some more options on modern-day medicine.

Take care of yourself and your sobriety (and good looks, as far as I remember))
Old 08-14-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chilledice, I would definitely see another doctor since medical detox is not an option. What a weird response from the doctor you did see! Please keep us updated, you can do this you just need to find a safe way.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

call and talk with your doctor as I believe the medication he prescribed is NOT for the cravings but may actually be to help with the withdrawal.

talk with your doctor
Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
call and talk with your doctor as I believe the medication he prescribed is NOT for the cravings but may actually be to help with the withdrawal.

talk with your doctor
You are correct, Sugarbear, the medication prescribed is generic valium and will only help with the withdrawal symptoms.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Chilledice, please talk with your doctor to understand what they said
Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please, please, do not take the diagnosis of a healthy liver as a green light to carry on drinking.

I wish you the best