Notices

Court Friday, scared out of my mind

Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Court Friday, scared out of my mind

I was charged with a DUI on July 9th, and my court date is scheduled for this Friday. I blew a high number and also rear ended a car, luckily there were no injuries other than myself. I have been going to meetings daily and seeing a therapist that my Lawyer recomended. I am so scared that I will be going to jail and I just can't shake the thought. I have no prior record so this is my first time dealing with court. I just am really scared and don't know what to do...
Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't blame you for being scared. But, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. You have a lawyer and you're working on your recovery. Do you have someone to go with you on Friday?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just my Lawyer.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just so you know,I've had tons of experience with the law,you are not going to jail on a first offense for DUI ,especially if you have a paid lawyer ,it'll be ok. As long as your admitting theres a problem,are doing something about it and want to stay sober,it'll all work itself out. Don't panic,it serves no purpose.I've been there so many times with the law. Fear is normal,but I'm telling you your going to be fine. I'd like to know how you made out so please hit me up on here when you go and let us know how it went..best of luck to you!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If this is your first DUI, expect an expensive slap on the wrist but no jail time (unless there are other charges you are not disclosing here).

I know the feeling. When I got my DUI, I thought my life was over. The anxiety from that incident and waiting to see what the judge would do actually propelled me into daily drinking. Before that, I was a weekend binge-type drinker. You are doing the right things by going to AA and seeing a therapist.

I ended up with some probation, community service, a fine, DUI classes, and requirements to get a drug/alcohol evaluation and follow recommendations. Yes, appearing in court was embarrassing but there is really nothing to worry about as you will just follow your attorney's instructions.

Just know that a second DUI within 10 years is almost guaranteed jail time in most states. Take this as your wake-up call and get serious about dealing with your alcohol issues. You can do this.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Prodigy

I'm sorry for the situation you're in.
I have no experience to share but I wish you the best Friday.

D
Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please see this as a warning sign that you need to take stopping drinking seriously.

Don't loose anything else. Not your relationships, health, freedom, career, future prospects.

Take action now before it gets worse.

I wish you the best xxxx
Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Prodigy. I feel for you - been there (twice) and it was terrifying to anticipate what might happen. I blew a .32 & the officer was amazed I was so coherent.

I agree with Jett. For my first offense - since I was considered a 'first time offender' - I just got probation, suspended license, and fine. (This was in Delaware, not NY). I also had to attend classes. I'm so glad you didn't hurt yourself or anyone else. Do let us know how it goes Prodigy.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
I was charged with a DUI on July 9th, and my court date is scheduled for this Friday. I blew a high number and also rear ended a car, luckily there were no injuries other than myself. I have been going to meetings daily and seeing a therapist that my Lawyer recomended. I am so scared that I will be going to jail and I just can't shake the thought. I have no prior record so this is my first time dealing with court. I just am really scared and don't know what to do...
Oh this brings back horrible memories as I was charged with a DWI on July 9th back in 2010. I also blew 3 times the normal limit in my state but I was caught passed out in my truck in a parking lot mind you parked on the curb. If this is your first offense like others have stated you will get slapped with heavy fines. I sure as heck did and I am still paying for them to this day! I got lucky though and had a very good attorney and only received 6 months of probation. I had followed the advise of my attorney and took all the necessary steps prior to going to court (drug and alcohol classes and enrolled in AA). The only think I had left to do was probation, pay my fines, and 80 hours of community service. Oh and I was court ordered to take Anabuse for 6 months as I refused to have a breathalyzer placed in my vehicle due to my job.

I hope this shakes you enough to quit. Best wishes.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow that sounds very similar to mine. I blew a .28 after not drinking for 3 months and the cops also could not believe how coherent I was. I will certainly let everyone know how it goes on friday.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow that is crazy we both got ours on July 9th. I also have a very good lawyer and he has told me that it is highly unlikely I will do any jail time, and he has talked about a short probation time. The good thing is that I really do see this as a blessing in disguise as I did not hurt anyone thank God. I am taking my recovery very serious this time and going to meetings daily, seeing a therapist my Lawyer recommended, and have also been placed on anxiety/depression medication.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just wanted to wish you luck from the UK too
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have no prior record so this is my first time dealing with court. I just am really scared and don't know what to do...
it's your first DUI
so even if you go to jail it won't be for long
I'm not making light of it believe me
I spent time in jail due to my second DUI with accident years ago
main thing for you is
don't get a second one
here in Calif they go back 10 years
I was at the 9 year mark when I got my second
4 1/2 months in jail was a real bummer
I wish you luck with your continued sobriety
that is the main thing that will change all things for you

a little more
on the third DUI here within 10 years approx. locked up term is
1 to 3 years in prison
I have seen many sentenced to this amount of time

Mountainman
Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Prodigy,

Been there too. Got a DUI back on May 10, 2010. (I'm in MD) Blew a .22. Spending that night in jail was the scariest thing ever and the darn cops were so rude to me. That being said, I had a great attorney and since it was my first offense I was given 1 year unsupervised probation, a fine of $350, went to classes and either had to get one of those interlock devices installed in my car or have my license suspended for 90 days. I took the suspension. I've heard those devices can create havoc and can be very costly.

Good luck on Friday and try not to worry. It'll be okay.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Prodigy. You have every reason to be scared, because this is scary stuff. No one was hurt, and you are safe. This is a blessing. Listen to what the Lawyer is telling you. This Lawyer would not lie about what may happen. Its good to hear that you are taking this seriously. A lot of people do not and they wind up in more trouble down the road.
Great job with getting sober and Thank You for sharing. Friday will come soon enough, and then you can begin to move on. The wait is always a killer. It sounds like the general consensus is that you will not go to jail.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow that is crazy we both got ours on July 9th. I also have a very good lawyer and he has told me that it is highly unlikely I will do any jail time, and he has talked about a short probation time. The good thing is that I really do see this as a blessing in disguise as I did not hurt anyone thank God. I am taking my recovery very serious this time and going to meetings daily, seeing a therapist my Lawyer recommended, and have also been placed on anxiety/depression medication.
I am glad you have good lawyer. A good lawyer will do wonders. It is highly unlikely that you will do any jail time. My lawyer wasn't sure how much probation I would get. I just followed his advise and we plea-bargained and the judge has seen that I was actually taking steps to become more responsible and let me slide. I say this because the amount I blew was so high that my probation officer was shocked that I only got 6 months and she made damn sure my life was hell for those 6 months. But, I got through it and it will never happen again. I learned a very important lesson that day and that was NOT to ever DRINK AND DRIVE and I am very grateful that the only person I hurt was myself. I am glad you are taking the necessary steps as well. Hang in there, you will be fine. Just remember that if you get caught again you probably will go to jail. Take this as a blessing in disguise.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Best of luck for Friday, you seem like you have made very positive changes.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Acting coherently, seemingly not drunk, with a very high alcohol BAC may indicate an increasing tolerance. Drinking more and more to feel the desired effects of alcohol is also a sign. This could be very dangerous especially damaging the liver.

I am not proud to say, more grateful than anything, but I had a .42bac with an OD on BP meds...family was called in to the ER after my BP plummeted...not to rationalize it but thank goodness I wasn't driving....but still very well could have hurt people.

I have been there also with the DUI's, jail, fines, disgrace, IOP, huge ins. premiums...both still remain on my record.

I have hurt a lot of people in my life....today sober I don't and have righted the ship with amends and good living.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

blow machine in my car

Originally Posted by LivingFree52 View Post

I've heard those devices can create havoc and can be very costly.
I don't think that they are that bad
mine back then cost me around 75 dollars a month
and worked perfectly

for me I needed to accept one in my car due to the fact that
I needed to drive while at work (thus keeping my job)

special note
yes I was single back then
I had a few first dates with the ladies
and
showed up to pick them up
with my blow machine in my car
I don't think that they were very impressed !!

after 5 years sober still paying 2,000 a year for car insurance !!
my last accident cost my former insurance company around 90,000.00
right -- they didn't reissue my policy

I had better stay sober today !!

Mountainman
Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know someone who got a DUI and went to court. It was also his first time getting in trouble with the law. Instead of jail time, they forced him into a rehab center. I do not know if they have that option in every state, but it may be a possibility. Many people support the rehab instead of jail option because sending an addict to jail will not stop them once they get out. They will most likely end up back in jail for the same/similar reason. Rehab can prevent people from making the same mistakes and not to end up in jail.

Good luck!!!