Notices

New made it t day 8

Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New made it t day 8

New on here, quit drinking 8 days ago after 24 years. The las 9 I have been putting down 1.75 liters of whiskey every 3-4 days. I wanted to share because a lot of what I read on here has helped me, and hopefully someone reading this might find a little encouragement.

I woke up 8 days ago and I knew I was ready to quit. Don't know how I knew, I just knew.I had been thinking about it for a while.

Day 1 - went to doctor and was honest (you know the one you always put social drinker down on the form). We discussed options and settled on a sleeping pill since that was my biggest fear (not being able to sleep).

Days 1-3 were the worst for anxiety, I could easily have lost it if I didn't tell myself it wil pass, and watch a ton of motivational videos (never liked youtube until now).

Day 3-4........ The mood, could have beat anyone for anything, even people being nice. Luckily that passed.

Day 5, relaxed for the 1st time

Now it is starting to get easier a bit each day, I think less about drinking and more about all the stuff I need to get done (the stuff I put off to get drunk).

Best advice I can give is change your routine... I used to make a drink when I got home after work, now I make a shake and workout. I used to start to get my buzz around 8, now at 8 I get on my bike and ride until I get a buzz from heavy breathing.

I plan to stay sober, and I think dealing with today not what is ahead helps. Thanks for all the posts I have been reading, they are making life a lot easier.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great tips and great job!!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, great stuff. Posts like this are really encouraging and inspiring to anyone who reads them. Congratulations on 8 days and making these positive changes.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree - a very helpful post whydidiwait! Welcome to SR.

You're off to a wonderful start with your new sobriety. Doesn't it feel good? I drank 30 yrs. & in the end it was 24/7. I'm so thankful to be free. Congratulations on your 8 days.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Really encouraging post, thank you! And way to go on 8 days!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. I think with me the hardest part so far has been getting past the excuses I used to not quit. While the last 8 days have been less than fun, they were not nearly as bad as I had thought they would be. Don't get me wrong, not easy, but in my mind I should have felt like I was dying. The reality is once I was past the anxiety and got to acceptance it's been a lot easier.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome whydidIwait and congratulations

Glad to have you join us - there's a lot of support here

D
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome,just keep it up a day at a time,sometimes I have to take an hour at a time but whatever it takes just know we are all here for you and you are not alone on this journey. We all struggle and have bad days ,I just take to heart that I'm not alone and it can be done,it wil get better,AA is a great tool to maintain,go,raise your hand and speak out . You will be. Amazed at how many people will want to be a help to you..we are all just a click away ,it does work,u just have to work it!!!! Best to you on your sober journey!!!!