Notices

Cirrhosis stress !

Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cirrhosis stress !

Is it normal to stress over the damage i may have done long term to my body after slowly killing myself for 15 years? With the euphoria of trying to be this ,come the night time doubts in my alone time as i lie there imagining a rotten liver or kidneys . What if its too late and the damage cant be reversed? I finally come good and then may die early anyhow , leaving my kids and husband, Just thinking aloud peeps ........ Sigh ........
Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very normal, Snoozy.

I think the only way to know for sure is to see a Dr - as confronting as that is.

I felt for sure I'd have major health issues but I got a pretty good bill of health all things considered

D
Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I went to detox following a three-year relapse, I was convinced that my internal organs were ready to shut down and leave me for dead. My liver and pancreas were all but shot, and I contemplated when I might die.

When I finished detox, and then rehab, I had another complete physical and my levels were headed to what's considered a normal range. About three months after that, everything was back in fine working order.

What you're experiencing is perfectly natural, and what many of us have put ourselves through. Get a physical and set a date for a return trip. And have a good night's sleep.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Obviously a doctor is the one to consult but I can tell you the human body is amazingly resilient. The minute you stop poisoning yourself the body begins to heal the damage.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Pain in my liver is what stopped me from drinking. Well, along with gout, panic attacks.........The pain went away almost immediately after I stopped. Every once in a while for the first 6 months I would get an occasional throb still, but that hasn't happened for a while now. My numbers at the doctors are great now. If you stop, I think you'll be ok. I am 42 and drank for probably 15-20 years. The last few were very heavy drinking.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Duane ;-) the downside also is that now i have put on weight as im absolutely craving sugar ....chocolate , chocolate , chocolate ...hopefully that will disappear soon. Must be missing the sugar that cones with wine .
Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You can go get it tested. Don't be like me, I waited until I was 6-7 months sober before I did it. There was nothing wrong with my liver, but I could have saved myself the stress of worrying about it if I had it done sooner than that.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Even damaged livers do well as long as the poisons are removed. You can live with so much less than we have permanent damage will stay but the rest can work and get better.
Don't let your worry destroy the good your doing and start again.
Oh and to answer your question YES I think we all do the same, time will help you with out a doubt both in physical and mental stress. It's also normal to have bouts of doubt even after getting yourself together, it'll get better.
Go see GP tell them you've given up drinking and worried they will always take it easier as theyd rather know than not and they can help including simple blood tests to reassure.
Just keep on getting stronger.
Love John.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for that lovely message John xx. :-)
Old 08-12-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was told whilst detoxing in hospital that I continued on my benders my liver would be cirrhotic in 2 yeArs max. 2 months after hearing this i had blood tests which showed my liver was perfectly normal and healthy. For the two months prior to taking blood tests, I too would lie awake at night thinking my liver was rotten inside me. I would look at myself in the mirror with my top off and imagine seeing an x ray through my ribs of a disease, booze scarred liver and it made me so depressed. Turned out I worried over nothing and my liver is actually pink and floppy as it should be, despite the two week benders where I'd put away litres and litres of straight vodka and strong gut rotting 9% cider and lager.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have the same fears too. But I know as long as my skin isn't yellow, my bowel movements are not pale in color and my urine is not dark in color, that my liver is not failing. A little damaged, maybe. But I am hopeful that there are parts of my liver that are not damaged and by continuing to stay sober, my liver will be fine. I am going to wait 3 months before I get a blood test though.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been worried about this same thing for the last year or so. I totally quit alcohol back in 2009 for about a year, went and had all blood tests and was ecstatic to find everything normal. Then started drinking again a couple of years ago, started having pain in side, was worried to death and afraid to see doc. About 6mo ago I was in for a cold or something and he said I was way overdue for physical. Talk about stressing for months, as I scheduled it out as far as I could so I could "moderate" a little. I thought maybe a month before the appointment I would quit totally to give things a chance to stabilize.

Anyway, that "stop for a month" went out the window; I managed about 2 days of total abstinence before the appt. But, to my great relief, all my liver fxn tests were normal. I wasn't drinking 1/2 gallon vodka a day or anything, but I had worked up to about 8-12 beers the 4-5 times a week I drank. Too much. I felt lucky, but know that internal organs can nosedive.

Initially I thought to myself I've not been drinking too much after all. But I really see I have been losing my mental and family health to this poison. I woke up last week and decided I just don't like the way this stuff makes me feel any more. So I'm back here on SR.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Snoozy, I got really into sweets too after I quit. Actually, it didn't start till I read a bunch of posts on here about other people getting into sweets after quitting. Put the thought into my head and I took it and ran with it. Only recently have I curved myself away from it. Like drinking, it takes willpower to quit. Often, I do things like eat nuts when I am starting to crave sweets now. It seems like it has helped.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is a really helpful topic, and one that it seems many on here have stressed about (myself included!).

Question - Does anybody if there is a specific type of liver test to ask for? I had the standard blood labs done 4 months ago and all came back normal (thank God!!), but should I be asking for something more specific?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just ask for a standard liver panel. I think there are 3 enzyme tests that will show liver damage.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Talk to your dr if it will ease your mind.

I had a lot of anxiety about what I had done to myself physically when I stopped drinking, and I realized I had to try to live in the moment and have faith.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My concern is that I take a daily med that says I should not drink alcohol or it can cause liver damage. Doc did a panel last year to make sure all was well, but hasn't done one since. Hoping the combo didn't mess me up! Good thread...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know my antidepressant tablets said dont take with alcohol , but i needed them my doc said ,.or i will self medicate ( with alcohol) ...needless 2 say i have taken both for years..and funnily enough i dont feel sad since i have stopped drinking and living life . Xx
Old 08-15-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 19 for me. I'm feeling most of the same worry. I worked out too hard a couple days ago and am so sore and it's causing me to obsess over my liver and kidney functions. Yesterday I felt great, last night I didnt sleep well and today I've been feeling flush. Anxiety is a bitch. Feeling so foggy. I just hate how it's not better every day. It's forward then back.