Notices

What's disappointed you about sobriety so far?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's disappointed you about sobriety so far?

For me it's been that I haven't lost any weight after 50 days.

Although to be fair I think this is my own fault because I've been rewarding myself with more treats because I thought I could afford the calories.

I'm going to kick into a healthy diet this week I think.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only thing that disappointed me about sobriety is that it took me so long to embrace it Billy.

Was it you I saw yesterday saying you were missing hangovers?

I know early recovery is rough, but I really think it's better to dwell on the positives...

dwelling on the negatives might be feeding your AV...or lead to a little subconscious self sabotage to take you back to the 'familiar'.

Recovery is a good choice you're making...I'd try and let my thoughts reflect that

D
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Dbillyd.

First, congrats on 50 days of sobriety!

As of me I think I've been disappointed that the world didn't rush to me offering its handsome gifts just for the fact for me being sober. Lol. If seriously - the more sober time I have, the more disappointed in drinking I am.

Don't worry about the weight. Though 50 days is a huge achievement, you body is still adjusting and it takes time for changes. Try to make one step at a time introducing healthy items in your daily routine and avoid strict stressful diets.

Best wishes to you)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The only thing that disappointed me about sobriety is that it took me so long to embrace it Billy.

Was it you I saw yesterday saying you were missing hangovers?

I know early recovery is rough, but I really think it's better to dwell on the positives...

dwelling on the negatives might be feeding your AV...or lead to a little subconscious self sabotage to take you back to the 'familiar'.

Recovery is a good choice you're making...I'd try and let my thoughts reflect that

D
Hi,

Yes that was me.

Guess after 50 days I'm starting to work at it a bit less and to be a bit more reflective about sobriety.

Probably a dangerous place to be.

But I want my 75 days!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try and look on the positives Billy. There really is nothing disappointing about sobriety. I understand what you mean about the weight thing.I wish I'd lost more but know it's because I'm eating ice cream,cake and chocolate too frequently. If it keeps me sober that's good but I do need to start taking a more balanced view towards nutrition-but that is a good thing.

50 days is still early,your body is adjusting.you'redoing a great thing but it doesn't happen overnight. Be kind to yourself
Old 08-11-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, Dbillyd.

First, congrats on 50 days of sobriety!

As of me I think I've been disappointed that the world didn't rush to me offering its handsome gifts just for the fact for me being sober. Lol. If seriously - the more sober time I have, the more disappointed in drinking I am.

Don't worry about the weight. Though 50 days is a huge achievement, you body is still adjusting and it takes time for changes. Try to make one step at a time introducing healthy items in your daily routine and avoid strict stressful diets.

Best wishes to you)
I agree with this completely.

The first two weeks of sobriety I was literally high on life. I had a huge rush of positive energy and in turn by feeling so good, I felt that good things were bound to happen for me. Well, that rush has slowed down and certain things that I thought would pan out for me has yet to do so. I've been looking for a new job for 2 months now and I really thought I was going to find something in the first month, but its turned out to be a lot more competitive out there than I initially thought.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Life is life sober or drunk... But for me there is no disappointment in being sober.. I have disappointed myself and others enough drunk.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I 'm with Dee Billy, that I didn't find it sooner.

I think if I did I would have a better career, more children, a better relationship.

I am glad now that I have finally got it in my head loud and clear that to not make any more drunken mistakes, hurt to me and others, damage to my health all it takes is to not pick up that first drink.

However, I am still haunted that there were things I did, things I am so ashamed of, that I do not know the truth about as I was in blackout. I have to work with some of these people too.

They happened over 6 years ago, but I still cannot move on or live with them or forgive myself.

These thoughts visit me daily, numerous times a day.

They make me want to withdraw and become reclusive.
I try to tell myself that people will not be talking about me anymore and that I am probably making it worse than it is.

Sometimes I wonder I feel there can only be one, or maybe a couple of solutions, to silence the thoughts and judgments in m head.

I wish you the best xxxx
Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was seriously disappointed that everything didn't become perfect right away!

I think I had spent so long focused on alcohol that I thought it was the cause of all my problems and that stopping would be the solution to all my problems. It wasn't, but part of me was relieved about that. Part of my fear about sobriety was that I would become too perfect Actually I'm not even joking.

Food became a whole other issue for me and I am only just starting to get a handle on that. I had so many other things to work on other than the drinking and to me that's what recovery is, the opportunity to fix things because I am not drunk anymore.

But, and I can't stress this enough, the first year was spent just getting by day by day the best I could. Things don't have to become perfect straight away. Take it easy on yourself. Staying sober should always be your number one priority and if that means being a fatty for a few months, so what? x
Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbillyd View Post
Hi,

Yes that was me.

Guess after 50 days I'm starting to work at it a bit less and to be a bit more reflective about sobriety.

Probably a dangerous place to be.

But I want my 75 days!!!!
It is a slippery slope. It can be easy to get complacent and forget the horrid hangovers and the useless feelings.

I try and think only of today. I know that is hard to do sometimes but in reality it is all we have. I can't look to tomorrow or next week for that matter to gauge what I am going to do today. For me sobriety is not a race and there is no end goal other that to live a happy sober life one day at a time.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

and that is all I see in my life today
positives

not one thing I miss about being a practicing drunk

Mountainmanbob
Old 08-11-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm with you dbillyd, it's been 24 days and have not lost a pound. While I am also eating to avoid HALT, I know for a fact that I am not eating the calories I was drinking in alcohol, so logically I have a hard time making sense of it. That being said, I also wouldn't say that it's sobriety that has disappointed me, it's just a benefit that I had certainly hoped would come sooner. I'll be patient though, because everything else about sobriety is fantastic
Old 08-11-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My answer is that nothing has "disappointed" me about sobriety. Without it I doubt that I would be able to cope with what I have in other respects. On the other hand, I would not have to "cope" since in all likelihood I would not be alive. The dead need not "cope".

W.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I changed disappointments into positive,
healthy, accepting attitudes in life for
a many one days at a time added together
to get me where I am today. 23yrs. Sober.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey dbillyd,
I'd like to recast your question a little if that's ok. I'm thinking more like "What are the new challenges you've encountered in sobriety". Firstly, some nasty insomnia. Secondly, I'm still a horrible procrastinator and it's causing me some minor problems and some guilt. Thirdly, it's really hard to handle the extreme torrent of emotions that I experience at times.

But...this is absolutely nothing, nada, zero, zip, compared to the complete degradation I experienced when drinking.

Take Care,
Cas
Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I came out of the closet last summer and told all my friends that I just can't drink alcohol. I told them that I had a sobriety plan in place and that I could join them at parties etc. when I felt strong enough. At first many continued to offer me alcohol. I guess they didn't think that I was serious. That was disappointing to me. I wanted their support and it seemed like they were doing their best to make it all a joke. I think they were uncomfortable about the fact that I could say NO to alcohol and still enjoy life? I must say that last night there was a pool party and we were invited. Everyone there was getting pretty smashed but the host made sure I had soft drinks and the evening went off very well. I had no desire to drink but also I finally am starting to feel accepted as part of the crowd and me NOT DRINKING is becoming more natural to me and to my friends.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LDT

There is nothing about sobriety itself that is disappointing to me.....except for maybe the fact that I was disappointed in myself for how much I isolated in order to remain sober. That is something I'm working hard to correct these days.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm dissappointed in the treats, not sobriety for me not losing weight! I've been indulging a little too, but I figure that I deserve it for now. I'll work on my sobriety muscles for a while, then get to the other muscles. One thing at a time.

Good luck, Billyd,

June
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking such an honest question, OP. This is a safe place to discuss an issue like this, because we can reinforce our sobriety, while addressing negative emotion.

In early recovery, I've found myself in touch with that pricey Pride & Fear combination, just like it says in the Step Book. Pride, "I don't have to do this, it's beneath me", and Fear, "I don't want to try!"

Largely based on self, my world before early recovery never involved asking another for help, a sponsor or a friend. I'd use marijuana to reduce my suffering, because I didn't have good coping mechanisms.

Logging on to SR is a coping mechanism. When I got a sponsor, and called him, I learned one coping mechanism. When I made a friend, and made a call, I learned another coping mechanism. Then a friend told me to try writing, so I learned another coping mechanism.

Equipped with tools like writing, the phone, a plan for the day, etc., I'm a little stronger, and God never gives me more than I can handle, a day at a time.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

In the beginning I was disappointed that sobriety didn't fix my life, relationships, finances etc. I felt like I didn't get my pink cloud and list of amazing results that some other people talked about.

It took awhile for me to realize that sobriety was a PERSONAL state of being. Sobriety changed ME, not the world around me. Sobriety give me a fighting chance at serenity, creating better relationships, addressing my finances etc.

I had the misunderstanding that sobriety was going to change the world, once I "got' that what it changed was me, I learned how to put it to better use.