Notices

young adults in AA welcome ?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

young adults in AA welcome ?

Im wondering about young people and AA and by young I mean 17,18,19 early 20s...im young and Im nervous about going to meetings ive heard some not so good things about AA but then ive heard that it saves lives. I need to do something besides just not drink I cant do it on my own and ive been thinking about AA for a few weeks now I feel like the age thing is whats holding me back the most...any input on this would be great.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went into an online meeting tonight, it seemed helpful, maybe try that and work your way into face to face stuff
Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

People of any age are welcome at AA meetings. If you give them a call, you can get information on local meetings.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

You would not be the first, nor even the youngest person I've seen at an AA meeting.

I have found AA to be pretty great for me. There are some things I dislike or don't care for about it, but it's minor stuff. Overall the benefits are better than the downsides I think. It's always hard to give a universal evaluation because different meetings can have very different vibes, atmosphere, etc.

Being young should make no difference. I think it's possible that some older guys might think due to your age that they need to take a directing, paternal role with you. Something that could happen, but isn't a given.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

There are young people's meetings in AA. Look for one on the 'Net in your area..
Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

There is an organization called the “International Conference of Young People in Alcoholics Anonymous” or ICYPAA (sounds like .. "icky paw"). They might be able to help. Here is the web site. ICYPAA - Home

Also call your local AA office and ask if there is a local young people’s meeting. There might be more than one depending on your location.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

I will admit that most people in AA are older because most people in a AA are dumber than you. They were not smart enough to stop the pain and suffering early in life.

I personally know multiple people that are in their early twenties. Many areas have very active young people AA groups. Call the AA central office in your area and they can direct you. Meetings at colleges are also another place that attract a lot of young people.

Congratulations on being smart enough to realize you have a problem and be willing to do something about it. One suggestion I would make is to find somebody with long-term sobriety and that is happy with life and start doing what they do
Old 08-10-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In 2009 when I was driven to Alcoholics Anonymous I was 25. Fortunately there is no upper or lower bound for age to be an alcoholic. Because of this and some other actions I became willing to take, I have been sober since.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notfixable View Post
Im wondering about young people and AA and by young I mean 17,18,19 early 20s...im young and Im nervous about going to meetings ive heard some not so good things about AA but then ive heard that it saves lives. I need to do something besides just not drink I cant do it on my own and ive been thinking about AA for a few weeks now I feel like the age thing is whats holding me back the most...any input on this would be great.

Hi don't know where u live exactly but I go to NA as well. NA considers alcohol a drug and their are many young people who go. It is a 12 step program just like AA. IN fact it is mostly young people in my area it seems. They also have a lot of different activities going on where they get together. I hope you check it out.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Fixable. Lets think positive, AA works if we work it. For many with control and anger issues it's a way out by saying negative things about something they probably never put an effort into. It's natural to look for the softest easiest way out however that has the pitfall of how long will that last. Thinking positive is often NOT an alcoholics strong point. KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not much to lose in trying it out once or twice. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back and all you've invested is an hour or two. And it may prove to be just the thing to help you get/stay sober. I would say that it's worth the risk to give it a shot.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How do you go to an online meeting x
Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

part of AA is YPAA ( young people AA).

theres quite a few meetings of YPAA in cali.
YPAA.INFO = Young People in AA Meeting List

however, age isn't a requirement for attending. the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

one thing I have learned in AA:

that 20 year old? same thinkin as this 46 year old.
that 80 year old? same thinkin as this 46 year old.

one thing I would suggest is a change of user names.
you are fixable!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Not much to lose in trying it out once or twice. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back and all you've invested is an hour or two. And it may prove to be just the thing to help you get/stay sober. I would say that it's worth the risk to give it a shot.
Not much to lose, only your life! Does investing an hour or two meetings give one all the lingo and information one needs to make a decision that is easily a life or death decision? I'm of the old school, go to 90 meetings and maybe the confusion and fears will subside then make up the mind. If a decision is made that it's liked they say "your misery is refundable." BE WELL
Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

A friend of mine got sober at the age of 15. She now has 25 years of continuous sobriety and looks absolutely fabulously young!

Young People in AA does exist!

ICYPAA is a convention; so many young people celebrating sobriety together at one time is utterly awesome!!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not much to lose in trying it out once or twice.
Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
Not much to lose, only your life!
You must not have read my post very carefully. I said that he didn't have much to lose in GOING to AA. I seriously doubt anybody has ever lost their life from checking out an AA meeting, but perhaps I'm just not aware of how deadly AA is??
Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

OP, I'm 26 and some young ppl meetings make me feel old lol! Like others have said go to the young ppl mtgs you'll find plenty of youngins
Old 08-10-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I got sober through Alcoholics Anonymous one month short of my 18th birthday. That was back in 1977. It saved my life. At the rate I was going I never would of lived through my teens. I went to a lot of meetings, met a lot of people, and found a group of people close to my own age. There were only a few people who were snarky, but I was mainly treated as just another recovering alcoholic.

I got out of AA what I put into AA. Get a sponsor, get a home group, and get involved. 12 step programs work by working the 12 steps. Going to AA was the best decision I ever made.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You must not have read my post very carefully. I said that he didn't have much to lose in GOING to AA. I seriously doubt anybody has ever lost their life from checking out an AA meeting, but perhaps I'm just not aware of how deadly AA is??
OMG I must have overdosed on stupid pills. I copied the quote.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
How do you go to an online meeting x
Start here: Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous

Mike