Notices

Binge drinking out of control

Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking out of control

I don't have a daily struggle with alcohol, I don't even have a weekly one. I don't crave it, and I have only have a drink by myself once a year at most. But I think I have an issue now with alcohol where when I do start, I cannot stop. I try to pace myself, but eventually it gets to the point where I am buzzed, then everything I planned goes out the window and I start the bad behaviors.

The day after with the guilt, the shame, humiliation, and embarrassment is so painful, yet I kept on doing it forgetting about the time before or thinking this time would be different. I just want this to stop, I want to become a better person. I just cannot keep doing this and living like this. The things I say and do sicken me. My friends are all bigger drinkers than me, I try to tell them sometimes how miserable I am with the drinking and they say its all in your head, it's not as bad as you think...I was talking to one of them at the bar the other day and started to cry for no reason, a grown man crying for no reason.. I want to just go out and be sober, I think I would enjoy myself so much more. I finally think it's time to get everything in order and become the man I know I can be. Any help or advice would be appreciated
Old 08-09-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Yes , Michael you can
be the man you want to be

Coming here and sharing is a good first step
There's help here

Welcome my friend
Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The simple fact that you're aware that your drinking turns bad is, IHMO, very important. There's always that moment when you decide you're going to drink. That's a good moment to stop and tell yourself "This isn't going to turn out well".

Thank you for posting.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Michael

Was good to see you in chat.

You will find lots of great support here.

Hugs
Shell
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Michael, and welcome. I drank in the same way as you...not every day but once I started I never knew how it was going to end. Usually badly though. I have accepted now that I am someone who cannot drink. Ever. And life is so much happier. You don't have to feel like this anymore. Keep posting!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Michael,

I binge too. I don't drink all day everyday, but man when I go - I go!. But alcohol does bad things to me, and its stopping me from living a better life. Therefore I quit the booze. I'm 17 days sober, although I've been trying seriously for 2 months to quit, however I've had many unsuccessful attempts in the past.

My friends and family don't really see the true extent of damage I'm doing. So people tell me that I just drink too much for the wrong reasons, or because I've lost my mojo and just a bit low, or because I'm small so my body can't handle my drink the same way as others, or that I just get too carried away.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter what my reason is for giving up drink, and it doesn't matter what they think about it. The only thing that matters is I don't want to drink anymore, I've had enough of being sick and tired.

As others have suggested. Keep posting, and checking out this site. There is a class of August which are people quitting this month: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-1-a-19.html which might help

If you find certain people or places making it difficult for you to quit drink, then I'd suggest avoiding them situations, just temporarily, until you decide what to do. This is what I'm doing. Avoiding the old situations and keeping busy.

sicknote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael8899 View Post
I don't have a daily struggle with alcohol, I don't even have a weekly one. I don't crave it, and I have only have a drink by myself once a year at most. But I think I have an issue now with alcohol where when I do start, I cannot stop. I try to pace myself, but eventually it gets to the point where I am buzzed, then everything I planned goes out the window and I start the bad behaviors.

The day after with the guilt, the shame, humiliation, and embarrassment is so painful, yet I kept on doing it forgetting about the time before or thinking this time would be different. I just want this to stop, I want to become a better person. I just cannot keep doing this and living like this. The things I say and do sicken me. My friends are all bigger drinkers than me, I try to tell them sometimes how miserable I am with the drinking and they say its all in your head, it's not as bad as you think...I was talking to one of them at the bar the other day and started to cry for no reason, a grown man crying for no reason.. I want to just go out and be sober, I think I would enjoy myself so much more. I finally think it's time to get everything in order and become the man I know I can be. Any help or advice would be appreciated
Michael, you've admitted you binge drink-it's rife at the moment-I used to be able to have 1 or 2-but now mins grows into 16-20 a day-and I don't care who I upset, there is no self control-I have none, and I know thatone hour out of it and 3 or 4 days' embarassment-I've lost count of the people I've alienated because once I pick that 3rd drink up they look at me and know what's coming-they just walk away-and they're all too ready to remind me how much of a show I made of myself-I know where you're coming from and I sympathise with you-I'm trying to limit my intake now and somedays it's good-someday it's bad, that may sound like crap but if you try and make the good days outnumber the bad then you're on the way.

just to make you feel a little less bad-I've rung my family members at 4 or 5 a.m in the past wanting an argument or fight and calling them every name under the sun for not taking the bait-it's took a lot away from my life.

Joey.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Michael, just another welcome from a fellow member. We are all here for the same reason.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I'm going to be on here on a regular basis. The forums and the chat rooms are a nice place to get things off your chest, and that's exactly what I need. Everyone is extremely supportive and understands what is going on. I honestly think if I keep at this forum, I will change for the better and be that guy I was way back when before I let this all go to my head. See you all around