Binge Drinking Husband - Just a Rant

Old 08-09-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Binge Drinking Husband - Just a Rant

This is day three of this week’s binge. The dry stints between binges have decreased. I’m at work, as this makes it perfect for my AH to drink and lie. He thinks he disguises it well with Tick-Tacks and showers. I know the routine. Once he starts taking showers right before I get home he is no longer “dry.” No pun intended. He may be able to mask it the first day where I kind of question my suspicions, but he cannot hide the following days of a binge. It gets to the point to where he smells like he lives under a bridge and he can no longer hold conversations.

Last night the garage door was left wide open with the over head light turned on just asking for thieves to come steal whatever they wish. I came home at nearly eleven at night to see the thieves’ gold mine open for the taking and he was passed out on the couch with a half eaten baked potato hanging off the coffee table next to him nearly about to fall onto the floor. Even worse, the access door from inside the garage to the house was left unlocked, so not only would the garage make a perfect Christmas present to thieves they would have easy access to the home, where lots of great stuff - my stuff – is. We don’t live in a horrible neighborhood, but seriously come on! What a sight, and he also forgot to feed the dog – AGAIN!

Today it’s more of the same as I hear. I, again, am at work, and my niece texted me and said that he is drinking bad today. Then she sends me a picture of my dog looking sad and hunched on the floor in a scared heap with the caption of “she’s scared.” That broke my heart.

My peace and serenity will not come as long as I continue to be affected by his drinking, and it is awfully hard not to be affected when we live together, and his drinking affects the things I care most about. I can’t take this. I wish I could pick up my niece and my dog and go take them out for ice cream, but I can’t because I’m at work. My dog does not get to eat ice cream in case you’re wondering, but I can imagine she would feel much better watching us eat on a cone instead of feeling tense in a dark livingroom as would my niece.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hon....this can't be fixed with ice cream. it's sad that your poor dog is scared to death, and even more so that your young niece is reporting these things to you from THERE....

no one should have to live like that. not you, not a young girl, not a dog. there long ago ceased to be a point.

start a plan. you don't have to put the plan into action NOW, but a plan is always a good thing.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
hon....this can't be fixed with ice cream. it's sad that your poor dog is scared to death, and even more so that your young niece is reporting these things to you from THERE....

no one should have to live like that. not you, not a young girl, not a dog. there long ago ceased to be a point.

start a plan. you don't have to put the plan into action NOW, but a plan is always a good thing.
Yes. The ice cream thought would just be a tad escape from the reality. I have been working on a plan. My plan is not coming together fast enough. That is what is frustrating. My niece is almost eighteen, and part of my plan in the works is getting her driver's license and a reliable vehicle. Currently she is able to drive with an adult and is doing "driving hours" under the driving school program. I have talked to her about future thoughts. She wants to remain at that school and works close so she will continue to stay there, but with a vehicle she will then be able to leave when she wants. For myself and my dog I have been going to school to try to get a better paying job, but I do have a place to go meanwhile. My cats, I do not have a solution to other than to take them to a shelter, which saddens me. I also need to get financial stuff worked out, so I won't be tied to two sets of bills. And of course I need the courage, in which therapy is helping immensely.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

MT,

Good luck to you. I also have a binge drinking spouse. I understand.

Hugs.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Thank you. I can really use the hugs now.

Hugs.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hugs from me, too.

You and your niece (and your dog) will be OK. Once you have that plan put together and you start working on it, things will begin to fall into place. That's how these things tend to work. It's the indecision that is the most painful part.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by MTSlideAddict View Post
Thank you. I can really use the hugs now.

Hugs.
Then hugs it is to you girlfriend . . .

(((( MTSlideAddict ))))
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MTSlideAddict, there are ways to hang on to your cats if you think outside of the box. i always feel so sad when I hear of the animals being sacrificed.

Many times, I have faced this challenge, and, have always have "found a way".

dandylion
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs from me too!

I didn't realize how it was affecting the dogs until I booted him out. My oldest dog (9 yrs) was having stomach problems every few days over the course of several months so I was having to give him medicine. In the 4.5 months since RAH has been out of the house, the dog has only had a stomach issue twice and those were in the first few weeks. I hadn't connected the two until RAH was out.