Notices

Trigger Foods

Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trigger Foods

I was eating beef lasagne for dinner today and out of nowhere I suddenly had a craving for red wine. The craving is gone now but I'm a bit surprised at how strong it came on. I differently think it was the lasagne that caused it as I associate Italian food with wine especially red wine. Do you ever have certain foods triggering a craving. Should I avoid lasagne in future?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi David, I felt the same way about songs. I used to listen to certain songs and get drunk. I have avoided these songs in sobriety fearing they would trigger that urge to drink. 3 years later, I finally listen to them. If something is a trigger for you, I would suggest avoiding it until you feel strong. Why risk it? There are lots of other songs and foods. Sobriety #1.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, David.

I used to have a lot of food that triggered my wine cravings - Camamber and other sorts of cheese, hot bread, pasta, steak, pizza, etc, etc, etc - almost any food seemed to trigger calling for red or white wine.

I don't know how long you've been sober, but in early sobriety I avoided some food that was especially triggering and was almost emotionally "chained" to wine. For me it passed with the time, and now I can eat almost everything without feeling craving to drink. And I enjoy food as much I used to enjoy it with wine. Actually, even more!

Best wishes to you)
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honestly I think refined sugar is dangerous, but I know a lot of people use it to replace the sugar/carbs they are missing from their drinks. I think it plays with fire though because a trigger for me anyway is low blood sugar. I would feel the low blood sugar, and it would make me think I wanted to drink, and so I would get the sugar/alcohol at the same time. Maybe that's just me.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There aren't any foods that triggered my craving for alcohol. Actually, just the opposite is true for me. Eating food takes away my cravings.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cheeses, sushi, seafood. I wouldn't say they trigger me, but there's that reminder popping up... oh yeah, we used to have wine with this Like, every single time. Lol. Camembert and brie. Shellfish of all types. And definitely the sushi. Sometimes Italian food. And just any really good meal or dish. Just that connection still there in the mind.

What I noticed is that I haven't avoided these, but just haven't wanted to eat them lately. Not sure if there's a connection. I am eating foods right now that I probably wouldn't have craved while drinking heavily. But I don't think I'd avoid these foods if I suddenly get a desire to eat them again.

It really depends on how strong the craving is for you... and your ability to handle them. Look into Urge Surfing.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think just about anything can be a "trigger". What's more important is how you deal with said triggers ( or "Excuses to drink" as the are sometimes also known ). It's literally impossible to remove yourself from all stimuli that might trigger a relapse. Obviously keeping alcohol in your house or hanging out in bars are things to avoid, but for me the key to sobriety is learning how to live without alcohol, not living in avoidance of potential pitfalls. If you feel that it's impossible for you to eat lasagne without drinking, then don't do it obviously. But you already did once and passed the test just fine, right?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This was such an issue for me I had to completely changed what I ate for some time. For the first week I think I ate nothing but chicken broth. I couldn't eat Italian without wanting red wine, Chinese food without wanting white wine, or curry without wanting beer. The first time I ate any of those foods sober was a big deal for me. I was so nervous when I first went out for a curry, I thought I would just automatically order beer and drink it. Now I can eat everything and be fine, though I won't eat food with alcohol actually in it. I think there are still associations but it is manageable now.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm going to skip certain foods for a few more weeks but I will have to get used to this in the long term. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have noticed, in the past anyway, that food usually takes away my craving to drink, however, certain juices such as cranberry or orange juice can trigger me. Probably because I would use either one of those and mix it with whatever liquor I had hidden away in my hiding spots. I have even mistakenly "smelled" gin in my orange juice when I knew it wasn't there. I'm going to avoid those drinks just because of the fact that they are a huge trigger. Maybe ill stick to coffee and iced tea or something.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches makes me crave Almond Milk.
Chocolate cake too....Heck, any type of cake.

Those cravings will come and go. It is what you do with those cravings that matter.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dismember

Sugar and simple carbs are things I watch out for. I think there's some slight similarity in how sugar and alcohol affect the brain, the exact science eludes me, but when I get an insulin crash from sugar I tend to crave alcohol.