Notices

Sobriety/Adulthood School?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety/Adulthood School?

Anybody know of a good one? Like seriously this growing up/sobriety thing is exhaustive in its lessons? The more clarity I achieve the more I realize I don't know jacksh*t.

Emotional boundaries? How to deal with overreactions? Honest and Direct Communication? I feel like I am coming up against myself every damn day...and the reflection ain't so pretty sometimes. I do that? Oh my...yes, indeedy I do. Hmmm...gotta work on that. Oh, how do I fix that? Yikes.

I'm just thinking I would prefer a classroom setting with a lovely, gentle witty professor rather than this. "Just Do It" Life thing : )
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right there with you, Nuudawn Can be a bit overwhelming can't it? I too would much prefer a classroom setting! Lol!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety 101.

I'd sign up.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've done a lot of reading about personal growth/emotions/positive thinking and just signed up for women for sobriety ( I'm assuming you're female-many apologies if not!) They have meetings in the US,not sure about Canada. Sadly none where I am.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No half measures

3+ years sober and this whole adult thing is a never ending battle. The more I discover the less I know but I am confused on a higher level and about more important things
Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
....but I am confused on a higher level and about more important things
Thank you wakko. I needed that.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

It is hard enough staying sober and you throw in adultdom somedays I just want a day off. I dont want to drink but I dont want to be challenged either
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel the same way many times in sobriety. They say we stop maturing emotionally once we start drinking. I have been sober 2 years so that makes me about 16 in many ways, I'm actually 32.
I read that life is our classroom and daily life is our teacher. I try to look at like circumstances are trying to teach me something and are helping grow. I feel I am growing slowly. Slowly is the key word. But it is happening if I keep at it.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of the biggest lessons I have learned in 'sober growing up' .....and maybe one of the hardest.....is to shut up and listen. To others and to myself. And, also, to repeat what words are about to come out of my mouth inside my head before I speak them. I used to be a big spew first and regret later type of communicator.....easily exacerbated with alcohol.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't mean to sound contrary, but I wonder sometimes if growing up wouldn't be better served by being more child-like.
Children have the skill of brutal honesty, of seeing the world with fresh eyes every day. They express what they like and don't like with equal clarity.They are forgiving, and feel unbridled joy over small and simple things. They have no inner monologue of guilt. They don't generally prejudge, they live purely in the moment, they are guided by their intuition.

They will also wear a superman costume to the store because it makes them happy, and not care that they're not "supposed" to look like that.

More than being a grown up, I think more people need to live with that kind of freedom again.

I'm not talking spoiled bordering on adolescent child, either.

For me, I didn't get enough time in my life being a pure, innocent child due to the alcoholism in the house. i grew up in all the wrong ways, too fast. It made me live my adult hood trying to find the happiness I missed.I'm trying to bring sense of innocence, joy, and exploration that back in my life.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

^^^ 100% AGREE, Manoges! Me, too! I've spent my whole life being a grown up. My goal now is to be a sober "child".
Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh girl, if you find a class, let me know! I've only been sober 11 days and I'm already sick of working on myself! Thank you for posting!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I am definitely trying to be more child-like in terms of my faith and in just living in the present but I also completely get what people are saying about wishing there was an adulthood 101.

I started drinking when I was 14 and now I've stopped drinking I'm that same awkward teenager again. I still don't know how to have a face-to-face conversation that isn't weird or awkward. I don't know how much eye contact I should be making with people when I'm hanging out with them. I don't know how to touch someone on the arm without it seeming creepy.

I actually came onto SR tonight because I just feel so uncomfortable in myself tonight, so this thread is very timely for me. I can't stress enough how much I feel like a 14 year old again. Half of me is stressing out that one of the pretty, popular, "cool" girls I was hanging with this evening thinks I'm weird. The other half is stressing that tomorrow I'm going to make a complete fool of myself in front of a guy I like.

So I'm basically stressing about the past and the future at the same time. Which is just awesome for an alcoholic (not)! I don't want to drink but I just had to stop myself from binging on food.

So yeah, what I'm basically trying to say is, if you ever do find an adulthood school Nuudawn, please sign me up too!

Edit: By the way, despite my join date, I only have 33 days. I wish I really did have 7 months. I'm hoping it'll be easier by then!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really like this idea! If only it were that easy...the sobriety/life school I have been attending includes ( at different times) - tears, joy, laughter, pain, anger, love, lust, calm, peace, serenity, frustration, tolerance, intolerance...you get the idea.

Sometimes my friend, you can be too smart for our own good You're rocking recovery, just keep at it
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was born into sobriety six months ago, so I'm still basically crapping my diapers.