Notices

It's Day 3 for the new person

Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Day 3 for the new person

Hello all!

This is my first post, so glad I found you all.

This is Day 3 for me. This is the longest I've gone since January without a drink. The past two days I've actually felt pretty great and proud of myself but I suspect that tonight will be very challenging as a) it is Friday and b) my husband just left for work and won't be back for four days.

I freelance from my home office (which, coupled with the fact that my husband is a pilot, has made developing a dependency oh so easy) so I've made a plan for today. This morning I'm going to go for a swim and a run. This afternoon I'm going to take my laptop to a coffee shop to work in order to avoid daytime drinking. I pick my kids up from school this afternoon and I'm planning on a picnic in a park then movie marathon on the couch with them - the plan is to get out sleeping bags and all sleep together and that way I'll be engaged with them instead of drinking.

Repeat tomorrow.

I have spent the past 48 hours repeatedly telling myself, "Make the choice that you can be proud of."

I really look forward to taking all the time I had invested in drinking/recovering-from-hangovers and investing it in my kids. They have had a absentee mother for all of their young lives and they certainly deserve much, much better.

I look forward to being able to look in a mirror and be proud of what I see.

I look forward to remembering those late-night intimate conversations with my husband instead of having large black spots in my memory. I really want to reconnect with him and repair the friendship we had before my drinking spun out of control.

I look forward to my next marathon and triathlon. I've been an athlete throughout all this (I was actually very, very drunk and then hungover less than 24 hours before my last triathlon) and I suspect my times will improve, ha!

...and now I'm rambling. Is it me or does addiction make people introspective to the point of vanity?

At any rate, I'm glad to have found you all. Reading your stories has been so inspiring to me and given me a renewed confidence that this is something that can be beat!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You've made a good decision to stop drinking and I'm glad you found us.

Planning ahead and changing your normal routine are both good ways to help you through the early days. It sounds like you're doing both.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. From past experience I know that the last two days were easy compared to the next few, when that little voice starts in with the "you can have just one", "its the weekend, quit on Monday" stuff.

Can't tell you how happy I am to have found such a wonderful, supportive community of people who know exactly what this is all about.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome no biggie

you'
ll find a lot of support and encouragement here - you can do this
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Triathlons sound very tough.
I won a suburban vets major annual handicap race once, kind of by default.
New to the club I was given a ridiculously easy handicap (5kms) and after really pushing myself I won it.
The old members were not amused.....
My alcoholism of course detracted from any latent athletic ability, and life in general.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you nobiggie!

Be proud of yourself for making this big change. You can have a whole new life. It sounds like you had a great day planned - I hope it went well. We're glad to have you here and look forward to hearing how it's going.

Congratulations on your 3 days!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you thank you thank you everyone. I have lurked for a bit on this forum and the support and kindness that I see is what finally moved me to post. I so appreciate the warm welcome!

Today was WONDERFUL. Got through it. It's 11PM here and I'm sleepy and heading to bed soon. I can hardly believe I haven't had a drink. Late afternoon was the hardest - that's the time of day I usually sneak onto the back patio while the kids play video games and drink. I was surprised at how easy it was once I made the decision to spend time w my kids instead of drink. I also realize that there are a lot of days coming down the pike that won't be nearly as easy.

Dee and Hevyn, you two just sound so kind. THANK YOU.

Murchovski, that win sounds awesome! Yeah, I bet the old members were most definitely not amused!

At any rate, just wanted to say thanks. It's only because there are so many people here who have been so very open and honest about their struggle with this that I felt safe reaching out to seek support in mine. Good night everyone and prayers to those whose days have been difficult or are slipping. I hope we can all put those days behind us sooner rather than later.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome nobiggie

Congrats on 3 days. SR is a great source of support and strength,keep coming back
Old 08-10-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family Nobiggie (hug)

Its lovely to have you join us - hope to see you here often!

You are doing great! Well done

Hugs
Shell
Old 08-10-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi nobiggie, Congratulations on day 3. Searching yourself and being introspective sounds like part of the process to me. More sobertime will calm it down some though. It's great that you are thinking of positive reasons to quit. Sobriety is so much better. Good job!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad to meet you! Welcome!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...than never

Sounds like some solid plans.

Go nobiggie!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!!.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3 and welcome to SR!

Originally Posted by nobiggie View Post
Is it me or does addiction make people introspective to the point of vanity?
I can't speak for everyone but that is a yes for me but it was not outside tangible vanity but inside my head, I am all that, vanity.

Now I realize it was selfishness and self centered thinking. It was all about me and this is something I still struggle with. Any situation and I go to me first. My mind can spin a very fast web and I am in the center of it. Now I stop and think, maybe it is not even about me or maybe I should not compare my thoughts or actions to someone else's.

Today I don't use the "If it were me" thinking. I use the how can I help them thinking which in turn takes me and all my selfish thoughts right out of the equation.