Notices

The shakes...

Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The shakes...

so.... can I just go cold turkey or do I need actual detox?? I thought I hit rock bottom, but somehow, last night, I managed to dig through the rocks and find a deeper place, HA! Anyway, i've been totes having shakes, but they are terrible now!! I'm doing intensive outpatient rehab (I wanted inpatient, but the place I was looking into does 30 days.... Nope! Can't!) Also quitting the benzos since they don't work anymore.... I take a huge amount, and it does nothing for my anxiety anymore. Just makes me want to take naps all day, lol! Also between the booze and benzos... i've lost a **** ton of weight =( I'm 26, 5'4, and weigh 77lbs.

I'm certain I can do it this time!!!! YAY!!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

No sobriety - 77 lbs with severe shaking ?

Get to an ER.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one can really answer that question but a professional. Can anyone at outpatient help you?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gah, DUH!!!! Super derp over here....haha, didn't even think to ask anyone about that today. Thanks! I'll have to do that tomorrow =)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If the shaking gets worse it would be wise to go to the ER.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're quitting benzos cold turkey? You realize that can be quite dangerous I hope. How long have you been taking them and was the dosage extreme? I seriously don't advise cold turkey from those horrid things, even if your dosage doesn't feel like much to you. In fact I 100% suggest you taper them down. And I'm not the kind of guy to arbitrarily say that. You'd find me having a hard time telling a heroine addict the same thing.

Get to a doctor about the benzos before making any decision on your own, OK? Ask them to assist you in a longer term taper method, perhaps see if they are familiar with the Ashton method of withdrawing safely.

I'd further suggest (disclaimer: I'm not a doctor) if you can't see a doctor within the next 24 hours, that you go ahead and consider taking a smaller 'maintenance' dosage of whatever benzo you have been normally pounding back. At least until you get some expeditious medical advice on the matter. Again, this is only my non-doctor opinion, but it's an opinion based from a hellish nightmare that I've also heard happened to a few friends.

Listen, I don't want to seem alarmist, I just know from personal experience and from the experience of a close friend (also from this site).. benzos are a weird class of drug to just stop taking all at once, and even worse if you were combining them with booze. Some folks have no issues stopping, even if they whack back a ton of Klonopin or Xanax. And others can go through literally hell on earth. I'm one of the latter.

Thing is; if there's even the slightest chance you could be susceptible, it's really not worth the attempt. Taper off those rotten things.

Here's one thread on the subject that details things a bit more clearly perhaps. (link)

Shakes I can also relate to. In fact, considering the overall condition you're describing, you really should consider some sort of medical supervised detox sharpish. Forget doing it cold turkey or alone. People die doing it that way, just coming off booze, and you have a double whammy going here.

I'm deadly serious about the benzos though... even if you'd rather knuckle through the pain of alcohol withdrawal. If you've been taking a lot of benzos for a long period, mixed with booze, you could be in for a very bumpy and perilous ride.

Check out Welcome to benzo.org.uk : Main Page and read about it. The link I gave has my friend's story and my reply.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
You're quitting benzos cold turkey? You realize that can be quite dangerous I hope. How long have you been taking them and was the dosage extreme? I seriously don't advise cold turkey from those horrid things, even if your dosage doesn't feel like much to you. In fact I 100% suggest you taper them down. And I'm not the kind of guy to arbitrarily say that. You'd find me having a hard time telling a heroine addict the same thing.

Get to a doctor about the benzos before making any decision on your own, OK? Ask them to assist you in a longer term taper method, perhaps see if they are familiar with the Ashton method of withdrawing safely.

I'd further suggest (disclaimer: I'm not a doctor) if you can't see a doctor within the next 24 hours, that you go ahead and consider taking a smaller 'maintenance' dosage of whatever benzo you have been normally pounding back. At least until you get some expeditious medical advice on the matter. Again, this is only my non-doctor opinion, but it's an opinion based from a hellish nightmare that I've also heard happened to a few friends.

Listen, I don't want to seem alarmist, I just know from personal experience and from the experience of a close friend (also from this site).. benzos are a weird class of drug to just stop taking all at once, and even worse if you were combining them with booze. Some folks have no issues stopping, even if they whack back a ton of Klonopin or Xanax. And others can go through literally hell on earth. I'm one of the latter.

Thing is; if there's even the slightest chance you could be susceptible, it's really not worth the attempt. Taper off those rotten things.

Here's one thread on the subject that details things a bit more clearly perhaps.

Shakes I can also relate to. In fact, considering the overall condition you're describing, you really should consider some sort of medical supervised detox sharpish. Forget doing it cold turkey or alone. People die doing it that way, just coming off booze, and you have a double whammy going here.

I'm deadly serious about the benzos though... even if you'd rather knuckle through the pain of alcohol withdrawal. If you've been taking a lot of benzos for a long period, mixed with booze, you could be in for a very bumpy and perilous ride.

Check out
Well........................................****. Should i even mention the fact I'm also taking Effexor? I have a frend" he's a guy, works out a lot, was in the army, 6"2, 200lbs.... He took lesser MG of effexor than I am now. I guess the reason i'm trying cold turkey (the 3 bottles of red wine and 1 5mg of klonopin twice a day combo) is i've done it before. Not that much booze and klonopin, but I did fine? Well, I have my husband who's willing to take me to ER if I need.

****. This scared me. But I need it... thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <====HA!!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

77 pounds at 5'4" with substance abuse problems and shaking? get to an emergency room ASAP. you need to sustenance. you're probably dehydrated as hell and you're electrolytes are probably in the tank. if your potassium drops to low you can have a heart attack. get to a hospital. people in overall good body condition can die detoxing. your body condition is dire. i hope you seek medical help soon.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobrietyftw View Post
I guess the reason i'm trying cold turkey (the 3 bottles of red wine and 1 5mg of klonopin twice a day combo) is i've done it before. Not that much booze and klonopin, but I did fine? Well, I have my husband who's willing to take me to ER if I need.
If you ask 100 alcoholics here, I'd bet cash money that at least 99% of them will tell you they had something really crappy happen from the philosophy "well, I did it successfully before". Really, with withdrawal it only takes the one time ya? Like some are saying, even folks whom are otherwise quite healthy have dropped dead from withdrawing - and they are talking only about booze.

So it's pretty much my opinion that you either screw the whole "waiting around to get worse" thing and get to the ER now, or you make doubly sure your husband reads these posts and knows the gravity of the condition he's monitoring. Because he needs to watch you like a hawk. No drama here, just truth. When you sleep, he needs to be awake. When you're awake, he needs to be awake.

Let me just say a few more things then I'll shut up.... seizures are nothing nice. Would be my personal favorite affliction for, say, Hitler only. In fact they are brutal and often deadly. My seizure? Utterly unexpected, out of nowhere at around 36 hours after my last Xanax, I hit a table, then the floor, like a live fish being tossed in a boat. I cracked my head open on the night stand to the tune of 70+ stitches and almost bit my own tongue off. Bled all over the place. My hotel room looked like a CSI crime scene.

And after that it was 10 day mandatory psych evaluation wherein I nearly crawled straight out of my skin.

These kinds of things don't come with an arrival time or a money-back guarantee.

Whatever you decide, take it real REAL easy, rest a lot, drink metric tons of water, and if you can, eat. I can't stress enough that you should get to the ER sharpish, as in right now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
If you ask 100 alcoholics here, I'd bet cash money that at least 99% of them will tell you they had something really crappy happen from the philosophy "well, I did it successfully before". Really, with withdrawal it only takes the one time ya? Like some are saying, even folks whom are otherwise quite healthy have dropped dead from withdrawing - and they are talking only about booze.

So it's pretty much my opinion that you either screw the whole "waiting around to get worse" thing and get to the ER now, or you make doubly sure your husband reads these posts and knows the gravity of the condition he's monitoring. Because he needs to watch you like a hawk. No drama here, just truth. When you sleep, he needs to be awake. When you're awake, he needs to be awake.

Let me just say a few more things then I'll shut up.... seizures are nothing nice. Would be my personal favorite affliction for, say, Hitler only. In fact they are brutal and often deadly. My seizure? Utterly unexpected, out of nowhere at around 36 hours after my last Xanax, I hit a table, then the floor, like a live fish being tossed in a boat. I cracked my head open on the night stand to the tune of 70+ stitches and almost bit my own tongue off. Bled all over the place. My hotel room looked like a CSI crime scene.

And after that it was 10 day mandatory psych evaluation wherein I nearly crawled straight out of my skin.

These kinds of things don't come with an arrival time or a money-back guarantee.

Whatever you decide, take it real REAL easy, rest a lot, drink metric tons of water, and if you can, eat. I can't stress enough that you should get to the ER sharpish, as in right now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
DA ****??????!!!!!! Holy ****??????!!!!!!!!! TEEEEE EFFFFFFFF!!!!! I'm terrified now?? Actaully, this is no overreaction. This is me underreacting in the greatest amount.

I'm sorry this happened. I might be a bit on the overconfident side here.... I might be grasping on my hubby's ability (and always sober) to react quickly. I have my Klonopin and effexor by my night stand in smallish amounts in case I need it (just enough to get to the hospital?) But I i feel I can do this. I might be small, but i've done this being even smaller (21, 70lbs, booze, and benzos) I didn't have anything to live for then, so I was totes more reckless. I have an A+ husband now and an amazing little dude! I feel i'll be less inhibited with symptoms.

****. Thanks for sharing your story, and for everyones honesty. You are right. I will show my hubby this & let him make the decision. If he throws in me car halfway through reading any of these posts, so be it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear Lord, I'm so happy I found this forum =)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We are too! Best of luck to you with all of this, detoxing is not fun!