Notices

I want my life back!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want my life back!

hello im a 19 year old female and ive had a drinking problem for the past 8 months, ive been drinking every day on about 6 cans of beer at least, i may have a day off from drinking once a week, but thats about it, im wanting to quit alcohol for good but im worried of the withdrawals, what got me started in the first place is my anxiety and depression, mainly anxiety and panic attacks, i feared going outside to a point where i had to self medicate with booze to calm my nerves and my heart beat, the physical symptoms is what triggered the panic attack, if i notice a slight change in heart rate for instance it would make it worse and i would worry about getting a panic attack just by noticing these which then causes them, now i am determined to quit alcohol and start exercising and getting a healthy diet, i just want to know when i should start feeling better and when the anxiety will go away? because i dont know how i can possibly go outside without a drink to even start! also should i be on any medication to help, id rather the most natural way thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I wouldn't worry too much about withdrawals. I don't think you have drank long enough to get severe ones. Heck, I drank heavily, daily for 13 years and I quit drinking 13 days ago and had very minor withdrawal symptoms and didn't need medication to help. I wish the best of luck to you and kudos to you for recognizing you have a problem at such a young age.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Victoria

Welcome to our family.

There are lots of people here from the UK and all over the world.
I am from the UK too.
With the help of SR, I have over 530 days sober.

I don't know if I am an alcoholic but I know drinking makes me feel unhappy.

I too suffer from depression and anxiety, especially anxiety.

Since I stopped drinking my anxiety has got so much better.

Alcohol can cause depression.

I am also on anti depressants and for years I drank while taking them and any good they did me was cancelled out by the alcohol.

I became quite reclusive too.
I just wanted to say at home and drink. I did not want to have any form of social life or interact with people, I was just happy festering on the couch with a drink. I only left the house for work.

It was not overnight that my anxiety got better, it took a few weeks. I still get some but I think that is the type of person I am.

Stopping drinking has changed my life so much for the better.

I wish I had found a place like this when I was 19 years old.
It would have saved a lot of heartache!

I wish you the best xxxx
Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy