Notices

Every weekend is a Day 1

Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Every weekend is a Day 1

I am fortunate to work a job where my hours are 4pm to midnight everyday. Where I live, alcohol cannot be purchased beyond midnight. That frees me 5 days out of the week. My job keeps me up a bit late...I don't wind down to about 2am after work and I get to sleep about then every night. This means that on my "weekend" (I am off Tuesday and Wednesday) I am up til about 2am as well. About 11:30pm on my days off, I start to feel sad and bored, no matter what I'm doing. Then just the thought of a large bottle of wine or a couple of 40s just makes me feel so, so very happy. Just the thought of it makes the two hours til I can sleep seem so enjoyable I inevitably go out and buy some and chug it until I pass out.

I just don't know how to beat my weekend blues.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Been there done that then discovered that’s called insanity, repeating the same things a # of times expecting different results. Part of the way to be sober is to STOP drinking and not romancing the thought of drinking which I did daily which was comforting for awhile, then the next morning saying to myself “I did it again after promising myself I wouldn’t." I needed to learn self discipline and grow up. It took time and involvement in flesh meetings in AA where it works IF we work it. The end result is we can be happy, joyous and free. Hang on.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by toughbreak View Post
Careful. You know what they say. The weekend blues are progressive. Before you know it, you'll be blue every day...and drunk.

At some point you are going to have to face the reality of a life without alcohol. Yes, it's tough. You will have to deal with some depression and anxiety. But it's doable, if you are willing to try.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me i could never break the cycle either until i started learning how to live my life sober, vs just "not drinking". I didn't find a magic formula, pill or recovery method either - I just finally realized that drinking is simply a chemical reaction that is not good for my body. Whether or not I have fun, fulfillment or enjoyment in life is a completely separate issue than drinking itself. And towards the end, the drinking was definitely impeding my pursuit of a good life.

Maybe sit down and make a list of the things that you actuallly gain by drinking, and then the things that you lose ( or the bad things ) when you do drink. Also take a look at what it is you are actuallly craving when you want a drink. Is it really the drink? Or is is something you are trying to escape from rather than facing?

You can do this, you just have to want it ( sobriety ) more than you want drinking.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toughbreak View Post
I am fortunate to work a job where my hours are 4pm to midnight everyday. Where I live, alcohol cannot be purchased beyond midnight. That frees me 5 days out of the week. My job keeps me up a bit late...I don't wind down to about 2am after work and I get to sleep about then every night. This means that on my "weekend" (I am off Tuesday and Wednesday) I am up til about 2am as well. About 11:30pm on my days off, I start to feel sad and bored, no matter what I'm doing. Then just the thought of a large bottle of wine or a couple of 40s just makes me feel so, so very happy. Just the thought of it makes the two hours til I can sleep seem so enjoyable I inevitably go out and buy some and chug it until I pass out.

Hi Toughbreak. I totally understand where you are coming from. I have the same problem on my weekends as well. I am desperately trying to break the vicious cycle this time around. I joined SR not to long ago and I am learning a lot from the community. Stick around. We can beat this together.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome toughbreak

if weekends are your problem, why not start planning now what to do next weekend - make plans that don't involve drinking, get some support happening, have strategies for what to do if you feel like drinking, or if someone offers you a drink?

D