Notices

A cross addiction that you wouldn't believe!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A cross addiction that you wouldn't believe!

Well I am happily sober but I have replaced the constant glass of AL for a glass of ice. I pour some tea over it for flavor but I am really just wanting the ice? I'd laugh but it's not funny. I'm ruining my teeth and it's getting worse. I'm up to almost 20 lbs. of ice per day. I have to buy it cause my ice maker can't come close to keeping up.This isn't my first run in with this dreaded ice addiction. When I drink AL I don't eat ice. When I don't drink AL I eat ice. I've read that it may be a sign of mineral deficiency so I'm on major minerals for weeks now and it hasn't helped.

As I said in the beginning, I am happily sober so I guess I should just be grateful. I have said over and over again that I'd do whatever it takes to stay that way so I guess, at least for now, ICE is the answer.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As strange as this may sound - have you had a recent physical?
I know in your case, eating ice is possibly a replacement to the alcohol BUT the amount is a little odd to me. Cravings for non-food items (including ice) is called "pica" and can be a symptom of nutritional deficiencies, most notably iron deficiency.

Drinking alcohol may suppress the body's message that it needs nutrition, or it may also be a symptom of iron def. I have chronic anemia unrelated to alcohol, but my craves for foods (alcohol included) increase dramatically my my blood counts are low.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmm... Might be addicted to caffeine (tea)

Ice is not psychoactive

At least you're not cutting your wrists
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Matilda, at least you are sober. That is all the counts right now. So if ice is keeping you sober at the moment, I don't see any harm in it. Keep chomping away.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Congratulations on staying sober. Nothing wrong with staying hydrated during this HOT summer. I'm no where near 20 lbs. a day, but I've about worn out my blender making crushed ice beverages. Tea, fruit punch, even some iced coffee. Getting all my essential vitamins and minerals, and can eat them with a spoon (very easy on my teeth).
Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
I'd laugh but it's not funny. I'm ruining my teeth and it's getting worse. I'm up to almost 20 lbs. of ice per day.
You are right. It's not funny. Twenty pounds? That's over two gallons of water a day. There is such a thing as overhydration. So while it's a good thing you aren't drinking, don't self induce a health risk.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drinking to much water is also hard for the body, at least when done every day, you spoil you mineral balance. 20 lbs is around 10 liters of ice, and if you add water to that – 15 liters a day?

That is rather much.

I is a lot better than alcohol – but it is not good.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree seeingyour doc would be a good idea. ruling out pregnancy it could be a nutritional deficiency perhaps?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no idea about the ice-to-water ratio, but I am pretty sure when you eat an ice cube, it doesn't exactly translate into the same amount water-wise...if that makes sense. Like if you've eaten a cup of snow that doesn't mean you've drank a cup of water, etc.

It's strange, but a lot of us have similar insatiable cravings, like eating pints of ice cream each day, some of us can't get enough popcorn or chips either. And don't get me started on cigarettes.

As you know we're not allowed to give medical advice here. My initial thought is that it's probably not too harmful, but if it's ruining your teeth and has you frightened, you have nothing to lose by looking into this further. Good luck and congrats on your sobriety!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have not seen a Dr. in over 20 years and I know you are right. I should! I went to our local health food place and they told me that is probably why I crave ice and gave me supplements but they haven't helped. I should see a Doctor but I don't always do what I should do. I thank you so much for caring. I REALLY DO!
Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
As strange as this may sound - have you had a recent physical?
I know in your case, eating ice is possibly a replacement to the alcohol BUT the amount is a little odd to me. Cravings for non-food items (including ice) is called "pica" and can be a symptom of nutritional deficiencies, most notably iron deficiency.

Drinking alcohol may suppress the body's message that it needs nutrition, or it may also be a symptom of iron def. I have chronic anemia unrelated to alcohol, but my craves for foods (alcohol included) increase dramatically my my blood counts are low.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I broken several teeth and had to have several root canal. It's cost me a fortune! I probably have an iron deficiency. I drank for so many years and didn't eat right while doing so. I'm taking much better care of myself and maybe for my first year sober anniversary I will have a physical. I'm a little afraid of what the Doctor might tell me. I may have cirrhosis and I don't want to know if I do. I just keep thanking my body daily for being healthy and I don't want to have anyone tell me otherwise.
Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I have no idea about the ice-to-water ratio, but I am pretty sure when you eat an ice cube, it doesn't exactly translate into the same amount water-wise...if that makes sense. Like if you've eaten a cup of snow that doesn't mean you've drank a cup of water, etc.

It's strange, but a lot of us have similar insatiable cravings, like eating pints of ice cream each day, some of us can't get enough popcorn or chips either. And don't get me started on cigarettes.

As you know we're not allowed to give medical advice here. My initial thought is that it's probably not too harmful, but if it's ruining your teeth and has you frightened, you have nothing to lose by looking into this further. Good luck and congrats on your sobriety!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's very disturbing to allows have to be near a bathroom. You can imagine with so much going in I must use the bathroom day and night. I want to stop but it is a hard habit to break for me. Somehow I think the crunching burns all the extra energy. I'm meditating everyday and it is helping me to be calmer but I still crave ice. I have to carry a cooler like I did when I was drinking but now it just has ice. WOW, am I ever a weird one! lol
Originally Posted by soberhawk View Post
Drinking to much water is also hard for the body, at least when done every day, you spoil you mineral balance. 20 lbs is around 10 liters of ice, and if you add water to that – 15 liters a day?

That is rather much.

I is a lot better than alcohol – but it is not good.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You should get yourself checked out and not to scare you (I am no doctor) but intense thirst can be a symptom of diabetes.
I know it is scary to get a physical (I am terrorized of doctors too, like a good codie sometimes I'd rather live in denial than face the hard truth) but on another hand if it is just a burgeoning condition it's better to catch it early.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

EXCELLENT IDEA!!! Thanks. I'll try that but I am afraid the crunching is part of what I crave?
Originally Posted by TexasMichael View Post
Congratulations on staying sober. Nothing wrong with staying hydrated during this HOT summer. I'm no where near 20 lbs. a day, but I've about worn out my blender making crushed ice beverages. Tea, fruit punch, even some iced coffee. Getting all my essential vitamins and minerals, and can eat them with a spoon (very easy on my teeth).
Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drinking 10 liters of water is not good
Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

MatildaRose- I'm not sure what the health food store gave you, but most "natural" remedies do not contain the amount of iron required to repair a deficiency.

In addition, you won't feel better in a few days. If you are deficient in iron, it is not until your body can start to Absorb the iron, assimilate it into hemoglobin, and actually start making new blood cells that you notice small differences. This can be weeks, and depending on the deficiency, Months, to notice a real improvement.

In addition, alcoholics tend to be very low in B vitamins. b12 is very important in red blood cell manufacture.

Given you may be experiencing pica, I would really advise a physical if you can swing it at all.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would go for a physical, but until then, remember this thread is full of medical advice from alcoholics, not doctors. You're vulnerable right now, and feeling pretty horrendous from alcohol withdrawal. Start eating healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner, a balanced diet like anyone should. Exercise a bit. Sleep enough. Meditate. Stop trying to diagnose your physical ailment. Nothing will make you feel like alcohol or drugs did, ever again, but withdrawal only lasts a finite amount of time, and after that you'll be okay.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Get a small burlap bag and a hammer. Put the ice in the bag and crush it with the hammer. Crush it into a sort of an ice mush. Then when you chomp on the ice it will not do so much damage to your teeth. Then day after day gradually wean yourself off the ice addiction with steadily decreasing amounts of crushed ice. In hot weather you might want to put lemonade or orangeade into the ice. I've heard that orange juice is a good source of Vitamin B1.
And by all means see a doctor as soon as possible.

W.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Matilda,

I am only on my 3rd day sober, but I thought I might add a little to your post. I was a paramedic for 17 years, and seen something similar to your problem a couple of times before. This may sound strange, but check Water intoxication. In early stages, it can mimic alcohol. As the water/ice consumption increases, it can be lethal, because of how it dilutes your electrolytes.

I could be way off base, but it is just an observation.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks again for your advise. Do you know what liquid chlorophyll is used for? The health food store said they recommend that for rebuilding blood. I know I need blood work to find out what's really wrong. I can't go on chomping ice the rest of my life but it sure is better than always have alcohol as my companion!
Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
MatildaRose- I'm not sure what the health food store gave you, but most "natural" remedies do not contain the amount of iron required to repair a deficiency.

In addition, you won't feel better in a few days. If you are deficient in iron, it is not until your body can start to Absorb the iron, assimilate it into hemoglobin, and actually start making new blood cells that you notice small differences. This can be weeks, and depending on the deficiency, Months, to notice a real improvement.

In addition, alcoholics tend to be very low in B vitamins. b12 is very important in red blood cell manufacture.

Given you may be experiencing pica, I would really advise a physical if you can swing it at all.