Notices

Was Gonna "Blog" this But ...

Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was Gonna "Blog" this But ...

Decided to post since I see and read so many posts about "plans" for your recovery an all. When I started this journey; I had no real "plan" set up. I figured as I have my whole life I will just "wing" it .. 58 days in I came to a realization today .. I usually did "Plan" when I would drink; and I would 99.9% of the time ACHIEVE that plan; drink and get drunk. So now I am thinking why would just "wingin'" it work for sobriety ... So now working on a plan ... I started this post to point out something very special to me & at the same time very sad to me; coming up .. I am two days from 2 months Sober; that is bigger for me this time then my last b\c I feel more of a conviction in me ...

But at the same time it is 2 days from Jerry's passing (Lead singer for the Grateful Dead for the youngin's) As a DeadHead I have done the same thing every August 9th since his death; Buy a six pack of Dead Guy Ale; couple shots of Goldschläger; and pick a show and Jam it till the six was gone & then would go out w\ other fellow heads to some cover band or "tape" session and get obliterated. I am fearful this year; I will NOT drink; but the desire is already there. I have come to terms w\ this battle and seems to me; Jerry died in rehab; trying to recover, So why would I EVER think it was a good thing to remember him by avoiding MINE .. So no this year I am buying some Soda; Helluva Good Buffalo Potato Chip dip; and Jamming a couple of My Favorite Shows

Sorry for the long post; but after all my whining and struggling lately; a somewhat good post from me might be Ok
Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey dude that is a good plan. Celebrate in a different way than by drinking. I usually replace my smoking sessions with meditation now. Do you think anyone from your local AA community is also a Deadhead or likes music?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanx; I love that Dip lol No clue; I can't\won't\don't do AA; But I can Jam and Hang at the board for the day till I have to sleep for work so that should be good w\ me .. I have seen several Bars promoting things though lol
Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
Jerry died in rehab; trying to recover, So why would I EVER think it was a good thing to remember him by avoiding MINE .. So no this year I am buying some Soda; Helluva Good Buffalo Potato Chip dip; and Jamming a couple of My Favorite Shows

This is a nice tribute to him.

(my brother is a long time Dead-Head, so I understand the enthusiasm )
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanx; that just dawned on me today while walking home from the store .. All them years we went out & fried ourselves as a "tribute" to a man who so desperately wanted to get clean for years on and off ..
Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that just dawned on me today while walking home from the store .. All them years we went out & fried ourselves as a "tribute" to a man who so desperately wanted to get clean for years on and off ..
Sober minds have clear and interesting thoughts!
And memories that can be retained!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea I guess we all have our moments in the sun lol Thanx
Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanx; that just dawned on me today while walking home from the store .. All them years we went out & fried ourselves as a "tribute" to a man who so desperately wanted to get clean for years on and off ..
I was thinking that same thing. I would be a much nicer tribute to stay sober for Jerry. Since that's a goal he died trying to achieve. Congrats on another day!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea; when it hit me I literally stopped walking for a sec looked up and smiled :p
Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome plan August - personally, I've never understood why people would commemorate Jerry's passing by getting wasted.

He never managed to buck the beast.
He died way too young and had a lot of music left in him.

D
Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Be well today

Father and mother, boys, and little sister make three,
Father and mother, boys, and little sister make three,
Came weeping to the gallows, boys, and see the last of me --

God knows, I've been all around this world.
You all can sing this song, boys, when I am dead and gone,

Last edited by ImperfectlyMe; 10-20-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I usually did "Plan" when I would drink; and I would 99.9% of the time ACHIEVE that plan; drink and get drunk. So now I am thinking why would just "wingin'" it work for sobriety ... So now working on a plan ...
What a great way of putting it. We can put at least as much effort into staying sober as we did into getting drunk, right?

I think Jerry would be very proud that such a big fan of his is making better choices for himself now.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yea Louise I would like to think so too