Notices

just had to stop drinking

Old 08-06-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up just had to stop drinking

Hi,

I am new to this and felt the need to share my experience with others who may understand my rut that I got myself into. I have had the news from my Doctor saying that my Liver is now struggling to keep up; I am a proessional with my own company and three children its been a really odd situation to get into over the last 5 years..
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi al2087 and welcome to the forum.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome AL2087. Your situation is not odd at all, just about each and every one of us ended up in a situation we didn't want to be in because of alcohol. Some of us had health problems, some lost our jobs/famliies, some of us did horrible things, etc. The commonality though is that we all decided to get better, and you can too. Have you decided to quit drinking? If so there is a wealth of support and information here to help you.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

So whats your story then? do you want to share it?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the time. Yes I have been sober for 2 days. My Doctor told me that my GT levels should be @ 86 for a healthy liver and it is now 147 which is too high... repairable however over time but my relationship with alcohol is not a good one he has told me..
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by al2087 View Post
Thanks for the time. Yes I have been sober for 2 days. My Doctor told me that my GT levels should be @ 86 for a healthy liver and it is now 147 which is too high... repairable however over time but my relationship with alcohol is not a good one he has told me..
That's great news that you caught the damage in time. Also great news that you've seen your doctor about it. Did he recommend any treatment or prescribe anything to help you during the intial withdrawals? The first week is pretty rough but its worth making it through.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Al2087, welcome to SR

Now sounds like a perfect time to continue doing what you're doing; 2 days is an achievement that you should be proud of. You're in a good place to continue doing it too... lots of advice and support here. Soak it all up, rather than any more drink.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome al2087

I think many of us were generally astonished at the situation we found ourselves in.
You'll find a lot of support here

do you have a plan on how to stay sober?

D
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Make a plan to stay sober. You will feel so much better.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No half measures

I know being an alcoholic was not one of my goals in life but it happened none the less
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Creeps up on you doesn't it, the life of a 'functioning' alcoholic?
Once it is proven to be affecting you physically it just seems all that much more real, there is great support and advice here good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lots of posts in the August class thread. One post I did said to Google avrt and look for the Rational Recovery site. Someone here suggested it and I found it helpful. Welcome aboard al2087. Keep coming back, it does help me to see I'm not an oddity and that others have the same struggle, from time to time, like I do. Not that I would wish it on any one else!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JumpnOn2 View Post
Lots of posts in the August class thread. One post I did said to Google avrt and look for the Rational Recovery site. Someone here suggested it and I found it helpful. Welcome aboard al2087. Keep coming back, it does help me to see I'm not an oddity and that others have the same struggle, from time to time, like I do. Not that I would wish it on any one else!!!
I have just slept for the entire day yesterday no energy. I feel great today although it will be a long road. Life throws the odd challenge and I am being cool to handle it rather than a short term fix. Still getting the sweats though and the butterflies at night. God I cant wait to fully detox!!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hi and welcome al2087

I think many of us were generally astonished at the situation we found ourselves in.
You'll find a lot of support here

do you have a plan on how to stay sober?

D
yes thanks Dee74.My Doc has me on Citalopram 20mg I take it once per day and works in after a week or so. Keeps you level and calm and cuts out the anxiety. I also drink soda and lime its got a bit of a bite and it has the sugar (good substitute for beer) I have not been out since I went dry three days ago (cant drink soda and lime when out - not cool) however yesterday was awful. I was drinking neat vodka in one 1/2 bottle mouthful each day until recently. I could drink it like water. Still de toxing....
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there! It will get better before it gets worse. Have you checked out AA or some other recovery group? Do you have a support system in place? Please don't try to do this alone!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's great news that you caught the damage in time. Also great news that you've seen your doctor about it. Did he recommend any treatment or prescribe anything to help you during the intial withdrawals? The first week is pretty rough but its worth making it through.
Hi

I am on Citalopram 20mg it helps to stay calm and takes out the anxiety.

Drinking Soda and Lime it helps with the sugar whhc is part of the craving for alcohol give that a try for a while it has a bit of a bite. Yesterday slept all day still getting the sweats and the butterflies on day three still detoxing!!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by al2087 View Post
Hi

I am on Citalopram 20mg it helps to stay calm and takes out the anxiety.

Drinking Soda and Lime it helps with the sugar whhc is part of the craving for alcohol give that a try for a while it has a bit of a bite. Yesterday slept all day still getting the sweats and the butterflies on day three still detoxing!!
The first several days are not fun at all, but you are getting closer the end of the really bad stuff. Glad you are here, let us know if we can help.