Notices

Worried and fearlful. Could use a little support

Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried and fearlful. Could use a little support

I guess one way to deal with worry is to type a huge long post about it and then press the submit button only to have the GUI tell you you weren't logged in.
Poof! Post is gone.
Still worried (utterly fretful, fearful, panicked, etc etc) but damned if I'll type that whole post up again. lol

Anyway, this is my first post here and I came here because I was driving myself crazy with negative thinking about something I could not undo.

Basically I'm afraid I wont get a job that was offered to me because i told them they would find a DUI on the background check. And this not just any job. It was the job that would give me my life back.
I'm worried sick that I blew it by being upfront with HR.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I know how frustrating it is to lose a post. Especially one you have been working on a while.

As for your worrying and negative thinking, maybe your honesty will cost your job. Have you thought what your dishonesty would have cost you if your employer found out you left your DUI a secret?

If you watch any news at all, the cover up is always worse than the crime. You did right, I think.

There are cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) techniques you can use to get rid of (or reduce) negative thinking.

Are you sober? How long?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hey there! Glad you posted!

You know, I think that if everything went the way I wanted, and if everyone did what I said, life would be so good. LOL. But seriously, it's out of your hands now. And honestly, how would you feel if you lied? Not to mention, what if they found out you lied? Then what?

Wishing you the best!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Doggonecarl, I'm familiar with cognitive techniques and am trying one right now! lol.
I've had a little more than 11 yrs continuous sobriety, then a 7 year experiment in controlled drinking, and now another 2 (+) years sober.
Serenity prayer is on heavy rotation today
Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lost3000, thanks for responding!
I know... i know life would be wonderful if everything went my way
I take that back.... life kinda got screwed up when some things went the way I wanted them to....
hmm.....
And you're right, I don't like lying or being deceptive through omission of the facts. I just need this job so badly right now. The last three years have been so difficult.... i just need ONE break. One little break! I would hate to lose the opportunity because I was honest. (What kind of lesson is that? lol)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi you may get the job because of your honesty. about the negativity thinking what i do is 1-serenity pray, 2-use a technic call grounding, 3-I tell myself that way of thinking is destructive for me what can happen is that I may drink again and that is not an option, them I see the good new things in my life and the things I'm grateful for.
plus many more.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MCFINE at least you were honest. I would take that into consideration. I also have a DWI on my record, but I found the job that I have now before it was on my record. This was over 3 years ago. So when my background check was pulled it came up clean. I am not sure if I would have got the job otherwise, but I do believe honesty is the best policy.

Best of luck to you. Praying for you and wishing you the best.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey McFine - welcome

I think honesty is always the ebst policy in those situations - especially when prospective employers check anyway.

I hope it works out for you

D