Friend cannot detox alone

Old 08-05-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend cannot detox alone

He seemingly is hitting bottom and is more than ready to enter treatment. The detox is frightening him, he feels like he is going to die before he can get help. He is indigent and 1300 miles away and I do not have the financial resources to even begin to help him with medical care.

Any subsidized program has a waiting list of one or two weeks at best. He is in LA. Is the ER the only option, and will he find help with the detox there? Does anyone have any suggestions for immediate help for someone who wants it but cannot afford it? The physical part of this is overwhelming him, and I think he is in a dangerous place.

The detox is going to be to much for him to do alone. He has some friends there, but what they can do is limited.

Any suggestions? Please.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

ER is the best option, I think. There may be other options, but time is of the essence.

He should go in and tell them HOW MUCH he is drinking (be one hundred percent honest) and I believe they will have to take him in. Withdrawal can be a life-threatening condition.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Have him call 211 they will let him know where he can go.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it. He is so angry right now and is resistant to help. "**** doctors, **** hospitals" and such.

I have urged him to accept help, but just seem to **** him off more. Guess I will step back for now, I really don't know what else to do.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I seem to be confused a lot today, but I thought you said he is afraid he will die if he doesn't get help, and he's saying eff doctors and hospitals? Who exactly is he expecting to help him?

It's OK, I'm just assuming he is off his rocker at the moment. Staying out of it is probably a good move on your part.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Indeed, he is off his rocker. Cycling badly. This morning he seemed open to help, said he would call ER. Then after spending a good portion of the morning trying to get into treatment, he became deeply angry about "the system." Now he is angry and suicidal, and having scary physical symptoms.

This is someone close to me that I care about deeply. I have seen him here before, and he is unreachable.

He is so agitated, it will probably not go well if someone besides him calls 911, but I am about there.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Skipper

I have had a well-check 911 call done for my AB. The cops and ambulance showed up, but they didn't take him in. His vitals were fine. He's medically "fine" as of today. He didn't get mad at me about it. He knew he called me and he knew what I'd do.