Notices

scared and sick of being scared

Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared and sick of being scared

hi this my first time at SoberRecover..guess I'm having an bad day on wouldn't find myself here. I'm think about going to my first al anon meeting tonight but I'm afraid ill cry the whole time!!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by midwestpolly View Post
hi this my first time at SoberRecover..guess I'm having an bad day on wouldn't find myself here. I'm think about going to my first al anon meeting tonight but I'm afraid ill cry the whole time!!
Hey midwestpolly! I remember my first Al-Anon meeting. I had watched some of the youtube videos about al-anon that day and it was my second week sober, too, so I was exploring. I was pulled to the side to have a "beginners meeting" with a woman who was on heavy psychiatric medication and seemed like an addict herself. But it was nice people talked about knitting and playing music and it was very safe and serene.

I got the chance to say my name and explain my understanding of how alcoholism and addiction had impacted me to that point. It was great to just lean on the group and share my feelings for a few minutes.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I looked into the info on local AA meetings, there was a phone number as well. Maybe you could call beforehand and let them know about this?

I've never been to a meeting so far, but I'm willing to bet two things. You will not the first person to have cried on a meeting. Second, people will probably understand it and be supportive.

I hope you do go. For all you know everything will go better than expected and you'll be happy to have been there.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm in AA and went to a fair # of Al-Anon meetings also. My appreciation of both is it's GOOD to be among people who understand us. BE WELL
Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Polly, don't be worrying about what people will think sweetie, it takes courage to get along to a meeting, but you will be fine. So what if you cry? It's an honest emotion. Best of luck and please let us know how it went!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm think about going to my first al anon meeting tonight but I'm afraid ill cry the whole time!!
Polly, you are FAR from the first and certainly will not be the last to cry at an Alanon meeting. I did so myself on many occasions. At many meetings, a box of Kleenex is among the items that is routinely set on the table at the start of the meeting, so you KNOW this is nothing unusual!

Please do go to the meeting. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Check here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ings-like.html to see what others here at SR thought.

Please do go to the meeting. It will be such a source of support for you, and there will be times where an online forum will simply not be able to give you what you need. I use both Alanon and SR for the strong points of each. You might find it works for you to do both also.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello midwestpolly,

I'm sure it wont be too bad , i doubt if anyone would mind if you cried

Be brave , m
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a couple AA meetings last year. I cried a little bit and another woman who also was there for her first time bawled. It's kind of terrifying for everyone their first time, especially if you are just starting to deal with a drinking problem. I chose to go to an all women's group and they were all very supportive and kind.

If you have never been to AA, you should give it a shot. I still haven't decided if it's for me, but I have a lot of friends who have benefited immensely from it, as I'm sure plenty of people on here can attest. It can't hurt.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Polly - you'll find a ton of support and undrstanding here

best wishes with your meeting tonight

D