Notices

Chucked the beer down the hill.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chucked the beer down the hill.

day one..."all great things were once thought impossible"...right ?...thing is I only got to day 21 and it wasn't full of greatness just...cravings...going to war with my head...depression...hell...mood swings...how long does it take to see the ******* light at the end of the tunnel!!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by notfixable View Post
...how long does it take to see the ******* light at the end of the tunnel!!
A little more than a month in my experience. I felt a real change a 90 days. But recovery is ongoing. Almost three years sober and I still work it.

What are you doing to "work" your recovery?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found the one month mark to be a big turning point for me because I was amazed that I had lasted that long.

One thing I wonder is, what other changes have you made in your life in those 21 days, besides stopping drinking? For me, I had many issues I had buried and ignored and had to deal with.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

When I actually made it thru week three I thought I might have a shot at it.

I couldn't do it on my own though. I need to have something or some program in order to continue on.

I've had to change the way I think and relearn alot of things and I know for me, this will be a lifetime process.

I have to work just as hard at staying sober as I did staying drunk. As daunting as it may seem, I have a peace and contentment I never had when I was drinking.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I wanted sobriety so badly when I put down that drink, that sober life looked like a gift I had to have. I did not feel deprived of the drink, I felt privileged to still have a shot at reality. I was not focused on the "no, I can't"...I was focused on the "Yes, I can!"....I think that mindset pretty much staved off cravings. I had some rough moments of anxiety where a drink seemed like a good idea...but those moments were the exception ..not the rule. My wish for you is that you quit focusing on the "no".
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It takes as long as it takes. And it isn't like you see the light and get out the other side and everything is fine. It is more complex than that. The thing is we are so used to instant gratification that we can't tolerate waiting for anything. Be patient and use the time when things are tough to really work and focus on your recovery x