Notices

Recovery "tools"

Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery "tools"

I know many people here use AA or a similar support group in order to aid their recovery.

I'm also curious to know about any little personal "tools" that folks are using to help them toe the line?

Personally, I use a little booklet of index cards that I bought at the dollar store. First thing in the morning, when I'm having my coffee (being a morning person, this is always "my" time of day), I do a mental and physical inventory and write out a few things on the card.

After I figure out what my challenges are likely to be for the day (am I already tired/ cranky/ is it likely a day filled with triggers or am I really hopeful and full of strength tHat day), I write myself some "instructions", eg. Don't get hungry... Be kind to yourself, when x calls just breathe. I make them simple so if I'm having a bad moment, I can read them quickly and act to stem the tides.

If I'm having a good day, I give myself a "stretch exercise" to do, which is something that I might find scary or uncomfortable, but I know will help my recovery. Last week one of my exercises was joining SR. if I'm having a bad day, I change that exercise to a kindness for myself. It may be something as simple as taking 1/2 hour to have a nice hot shower just to relax, and paint my nails. The point on those days is to take care of me first, and by writing it down, I force myself to take that time.

After I've written my stuff for the day, I flip the previous days card over and write all the things I was proud of myself for accomplishing / following through on that day.

By flipping the cards one way, I can see my day-to-day instructions for how to keep moving forward. By flipping them the other way, I can see all the progress and growth I've made, and all the little affirmations that I've made the right choice.

I know everyone has little ways to keep themselves motivated and on track; what's yours?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! Those cards sound like a very good tool. I heard that you should think about all the things you are grateful for. In the beginning, it took me a long time to think of anything. As I began to feel better, the lists just kept coming. A half hour later, I'd be like "ok, that's enough for today". It really amazed me the first time I did it. How positive my view had become. Sobriety rocks!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Mangoes, I'm nowhere near as organised as you, but my best 'emergency' tool was 5 deep mindful breaths. The craving would alway pass sometime in the process.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent topic. My sobriety has been gratefully with me for a good many years and the desire to drink almost as long. That's great but to a degree dangerous because I often take it for granted and know this dis-ease for me is insidious and still very dangerous. I'm sort of involved with someone who is in the final days of life because of her denial of her problem even as she wears diapers, 42 YO, and insists her Coke is beer. I know I can't get ANYONE sober but the situation is still bothersome in my subconscious also. This AM while my toilet stopped working properly, spilled a bit of milk and stubbed my toe on something I didn't put away. At that point I started to boil and quickly recalled what a man in AA who I loved used to say. "Alcoholics once sober usually handle OK the big things in our lives, It's often the BROKEN SHOELACE THAT CAN TRIP US UP." I'm so grate full that I got tips like that. BE WELL
Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I pick a project or hobby to keep my mind busy.This helps out a lot during the first few months of sobriety.Some projects have been rather large home improvement jobs.
Keeps me sober and makes the wife happy.

My biggest issue is I think I can "control" my drinking.
This I've learned wont happen.
I can NEVER drink alcohol again.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mangoes - that is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. Some of us low self esteem folks have a hard time acknowledging our accomplishments. What better way to do it than a daily record. What better way to avoid problems by having a daily SIMPLE plan.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing this idea. I know myself well and I know that this will be a tool I can use to help me in recovery. I just to keep a daily journal and would pick a colored marker (from the dollar store) to write with. Some days I was PINK, others BLUE. On silly days I was a rainbow of colors. I may add my own personal touch to your idea but it will get me back doing daily planning. Thanks again! Blessings to you! Tilly ...sometime Silly~ Tilly...lol
Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
I know many people here use AA or a similar support group in order to aid their recovery.

I'm also curious to know about any little personal "tools" that folks are using to help them toe the line?

Personally, I use a little booklet of index cards that I bought at the dollar store. First thing in the morning, when I'm having my coffee (being a morning person, this is always "my" time of day), I do a mental and physical inventory and write out a few things on the card.

After I figure out what my challenges are likely to be for the day (am I already tired/ cranky/ is it likely a day filled with triggers or am I really hopeful and full of strength tHat day), I write myself some "instructions", eg. Don't get hungry... Be kind to yourself, when x calls just breathe. I make them simple so if I'm having a bad moment, I can read them quickly and act to stem the tides.

If I'm having a good day, I give myself a "stretch exercise" to do, which is something that I might find scary or uncomfortable, but I know will help my recovery. Last week one of my exercises was joining SR. if I'm having a bad day, I change that exercise to a kindness for myself. It may be something as simple as taking 1/2 hour to have a nice hot shower just to relax, and paint my nails. The point on those days is to take care of me first, and by writing it down, I force myself to take that time.

After I've written my stuff for the day, I flip the previous days card over and write all the things I was proud of myself for accomplishing / following through on that day.

By flipping the cards one way, I can see my day-to-day instructions for how to keep moving forward. By flipping them the other way, I can see all the progress and growth I've made, and all the little affirmations that I've made the right choice.

I know everyone has little ways to keep themselves motivated and on track; what's yours?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great thread. Apart from AA, I do have a number of other tools in my kit.

As a Christian, praying, reading the bible, going to church and listening and dancing to Christian music is very important to me.

I try to meditate every day by lying down on the floor, putting my legs up against the wall and focusing on my deep breathing. It's worked ok so far, but I'm now looking for other meditation ideas to help with my anxiety.

I'm trying to eat more healthily because when I eat junk food that leads to binge-eating, which eventually leads to me picking up a drink again. Things I find helpful to eat: fresh fruit, oats, dried fruit, nuts, tomatoes, herbs, spices, vegetables such as cabbage, bell peppers, peas, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Drinking plenty of water also helps. I keep a bottle of water close by most of the time. I use one of those bottles with the sports cap, as it's easier to just glug out of it without thinking.

I'm also trying to exercise more. I like walking. I also have a number of cardio DVDs that I've started rotating my way through. I really like my dance and tae-bo DVDs as I find these are two fun forms of exercise. With tae-bo you can get all your frustrations out and with dance you can just dance around like a loon; you don't have to get all the moves right!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am doing a 21 meditation challenge offered by Deepak Chopra and Oprah. You can join for free and details are on line and also on facebook.
Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Great thread. Apart from AA, I do have a number of other tools in my kit.

As a Christian, praying, reading the bible, going to church and listening and dancing to Christian music is very important to me.

I try to meditate every day by lying down on the floor, putting my legs up against the wall and focusing on my deep breathing. It's worked ok so far, but I'm now looking for other meditation ideas to help with my anxiety.

I'm trying to eat more healthily because when I eat junk food that leads to binge-eating, which eventually leads to me picking up a drink again. Things I find helpful to eat: fresh fruit, oats, dried fruit, nuts, tomatoes, herbs, spices, vegetables such as cabbage, bell peppers, peas, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Drinking plenty of water also helps. I keep a bottle of water close by most of the time. I use one of those bottles with the sports cap, as it's easier to just glug out of it without thinking.

I'm also trying to exercise more. I like walking. I also have a number of cardio DVDs that I've started rotating my way through. I really like my dance and tae-bo DVDs as I find these are two fun forms of exercise. With tae-bo you can get all your frustrations out and with dance you can just dance around like a loon; you don't have to get all the moves right!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
I am doing a 21 meditation challenge offered by Deepak Chopra and Oprah. You can join for free and details are on line and also on facebook.
Thanks so much! I'll look it up.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Will certainly look into the meditation, matildarose! Back when I was practicing yoga regularly, I certainly found that the meditations helped keep me more centred.

louise82, healthy and clean living certainly helps keep a clean mind... Thanks for the reminder
Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

sites such as this

I have a long list of tools that have helped to keep me far away from a drink

I have had no desire to drink in a very long time

sites such as this have helped to keep me in the solution today

seeing others struggle to get and stay sober

reminds me of how hard it was to sober up this last time around

I stay in a very grateful mode for my sobriety

yes

I never wish to forget how it was drinking for so many years

a hard, sad and dangerous life

I have had a couple friends in the Program die in the last year

they returned to heavy drinking and their bodies gave up the spirit

MB
Old 08-05-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mangoes, I absolutely love your idea! Thank you for sharing this!!

One thing that I have been doing that has been helpful is to practice "random acts of kindness" every day. It can be very simple, like smiling to a stranger. This is stuff I never would have done when I was drunk or hungover because I wanted to be "invisible". I've found that a simple smile to an elderly person in the grocery store can spark an unplanned, and heartwarming exchange of words. It feeds my soul, and gives me continued motivation to keep feeling well.

Best to you Mangoes! Thanks again for the brilliant tip!

Much love,

MV
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mangoes,
I found walking daily and exercise was the thing that helped me the most in early sobriety. If i ever felt like my mind was thinking of drinking i would go for a walk and it distracted me and shut my thoughts down for a while. Reading and posting on here has been invaluable too. I have learned so much from others on this website who have been successful in sobriety and it gives me added confidence that i will be successful in the long term too if i follow their advice.

Healthy eating is really important for me also. Eating well combined with exercise puts me in a great mind frame everyday and motivates me to stay sober and be well in general. Keeping my environment tidy and organized also puts me in a good mind frame as being the other way reminds me of how chaotic my life used to be when i was drinking which is negative.

A good routine in general and reading, writing and making small goals for myself everyday also really helps me stay on track. I also try and do something everyday for someone else so that i am not so focused on myself and my recovery and i find this makes me feel good. Now i have more sober time on my side i like to try and push myself to do things i wouldn't have done when drinking.

Great thread btw
Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Mvngon View Post
Mangoes It can be very simple, like smiling to a stranger.
MV
Im the same MV. Making some random person laugh while you're in a queue for something is incredibly therapeutic
Old 08-05-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
Will certainly look into the meditation, matildarose! Back when I was practicing yoga regularly, I certainly found that the meditations helped keep me more centred.

louise82, healthy and clean living certainly helps keep a clean mind... Thanks for the reminder
I completed todays meditation and feel great about it. Today's mantra...expect miracles!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great thread..thank you Mangoes. "Checking in" with myself is something I have to keep tuned to. I love how you start your day. Argh..I wish I was that organized!!!! Someday : )
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's such an excellent idea Mangoes If nothing else the be kind to yourself when you are having a bad day and stretch yourself on a good day is genius advice. I shall be adopting that. It is often I will berate myself and try to push myself on a bad day.

I guess the only regular 'tools' I have are daily log ons to SR, and daily reading from a recovery book. I just always make sure I am in close contact with some sort of recovery material because I find my mind quickly reverts if I distance myself too much from it.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

nuudawn- I'm really not that organized... This is just a simple booklet. Most of my instructions are a few words - "don't get hungry!!, "make some tasty tea", "step away from the drama". The easy things that sometimes get lost in the clutter of my brain. It's that clutter that gets me in trouble!

I do this in the morning because that's when I'm at my best- this could probably be done any time of day.

I love some of the input here... Random acts of kindness is an excellent one. And healthy living. A very important reminder!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I tend to do REBT exercises...sometimes I write the process out....I've done it for years so I can mostly do it on the fly.