not talking

Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not talking

Hi..me and my alcoholic boyfriend are not talking again after he bit my head off last Tuesday after he had been saying he was not drinking anymore for weeks..chose Monday as his stop day and drank Tuesday...he got angry and told me to leave. Since then he has messaged me a couple of times to say he loves me...I have mixed feelings about our relationship at the moment.
On the one hand I know we have no future if he carries on drinking as he s too unpredictable and I find it draining constantly reassuring him and watching what i say...on the other hand like most people on here when he isnt drinking hes great. His drinking has spiralled out of control over the past couple of months and i sent a message after our fall out saying as such.
Im determined not to message him although its very tempting..and will struggle not to reply when he does message.
We had a similar fall out earlier this year..we didnt speak for 6 weeks then he got in touch, we talked and decided to try again. He said all kinds of things like he couldnt live without me, etc etc...and since then we got on really well which is why its so difficult. We've talked a lot and ive shared my feelings on how his drinking affects me which he has taken on board to a degree.
It feels to me at the moment that hes waiting for me to apologise r something...? but him taking his anger out on me is not fair and not something Im willing to accept. Its hard sticking to my guns because doubts set in (have i been unfair, am i making mountains out of molehills etc)
I hate feeling like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actions, not words.

What do his actions tell you? That he can't live without you?

Or that he can't live without the drink?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly. I really believed he wanted to stop after everything hes been saying..that hes had enough and all the rest of it. When I left I said I wasn't going back this time while he was like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I struggle to keep sober, and have seen that I tend to do a push/pull thing when involved in a close male relationship (being female) when drinking.....almost as if I don't know what I want more...the beer or "THE GUY". I wind up getting angry & confused. It is nearly impossible to have a healthy, intimate relationship if you don't have one with yourself First. And, I find trying to have an even tempered (at least !) relationship if the other is a drinker, keeps me from maintaining sobriety. I am ending the one close relationship, at least the closeness, I presently have
with a man. Helpful ?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Forgive me... You are 2nd in his life.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lather Rinse Repeat. He isn't changing. He drinks, you get upset, he makes promises, you get along for a period of time, he breaks promises and drinks, you get upset.....

Pippi is right. Don't listen to what he says, watch what he does. He isn't getting into recovery. He placates you long enough to get back in your good graces, then he's back to his same ways. And sadly, there isn't anything you can do about that. But you can change YOU. You can decide you want more for YOUR life. You can make decisions for YOU.

I would suggest you find an AlAnon group. Find support for yourself, start working on you. You are NOT making a mountain out of a molehill, this is a serious disease with serious consequences.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree. Hes been messaging today and said he will tell me whats up tomorrow. Ive not replied..im sure he'll be full of excuses and feel sorry for me lines.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are lucky you don't live together, are not married. Listen to the little voice inside of you. So many of us here wish we had.

Peace.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What can he possibly tell you that isn't quacking? You already know what's up!! He's an active alcoholic...that's what's up! You don't have to wait for tomorrow for that one.

Just remember.....don't listen to his words, watch his actions. Nothing changes if Nothing changes.