Notices

Am I a risk?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I a risk?

Good day to you,

I am writing this message, having consumed four bottles of wine.
Perhaps my cognitivity and rationality seems quite okay for me, it could be a tad extraordinary for the rest of the readers. But let us be frank, I'm always a quiet person, even more when I drank a few alcoholic beverages. It is obvious that it undermines my memory (quite a bit) and it has its effects on my skin too, but nevertheless, alcohol makes me a better social person. But I have never had any problems at the café/bar whatsoever before. I've seen people get aggressive, but I have no idea why. Alcohol makes me empathic, and social. When I haven't had any drink, it is hard for me (even in the past, before any consumption) to have a full part in a discussion. It may seem trivial and idiotic, but it is indeed a thing I struggle with.

Could anybody help me? Or isn't it nessecary?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hey there.

I'm sure there are people who can help you.

If there are few consequences beyond a skin condition, bad memory and overall cognitive functioning, what's your concern?

When was the last time you had a comprehensive physical?

We all find reasons for why we drink, but few among us actually stop, despite an ever-expanding supply of evidence that we're slowly killing ourselves.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that if you can handle four bottles of wine without consequences, this means it's not a problem for you. Just posting your comment here signals that you have enough concerns to ask for help.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I was wondering about the long term effects.
The 'disease' has been in my family for quite some time though.
So I ought to be extremely careful, but unfortunately with that carefulness I've perhaps been paranoid?

I have no idea.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Kloso, is four bottles of wine just a normal night for you?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi Kloso.
First thing welcome. What do you mean being "careful"? Drinking 4 bottles of wine does not seem careful to me. So No I don't think you are paranoid if you are worried about it.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

First off - Welcome!

Second - I'm writing this massage, having consumed 6 bottles of whisky, (420cl).

Can anyone help you? Of course!

Isn't it necessary? Of course!

Don't be afraid of who you are or feel awkward about who you are. Live!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Even if light, four bottles of wine is a hell of a lot.
You do not mention hangovers and post 4 bottles seem quite articulate.
Despite lack of immediate problems you seem to be well over even liberal drinking guidelines.
Down the track serious health problems seem highly likely.

As for shyness, socializing etc; I had many years of problems there, even with alcohol.
Now with AA this situation has improved considerably.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Four bottles of wine is quite a bit. You have acquired a pretty high tolerance given your ability to type, spell things right and punctuate. To me it read like it was written carefully..almost like a drunk walking a straight line. You say you are a quiet person and even more so after alcoholic beverages. You then say it makes you more social. Your thoughts are disjointed Kloso not a tad extraordinary. I suspect you are far more articulate when not under the influence of 4 bottles of wine. I suspect your writing flows rather than comes to hard stops.

You're the only one who can determine if its necessary.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anything you have to rely on to make you more social is a bad idea. If you come to need it it will take over your life.

I also had no social problems from my drinking. I was aware from a young age how it could effect me so I was very careful. I am not sure if it wasn't for the medical problems I got from alcohol whether I would have even attempted to quit but I am so grateful I did. I knew I drank too much but I was so careful not to let it effect my life. Btw, the skin is the bodies largest organ so if you are seeing problems there it may be indicative of other damage. I practically had scales on my leg from dehydration and spider veins on my face. It might be worth checking in with a doctor and being honest about your drinking habits.

I think you will find in sobriety that there are better ways of dealing with social problems than drinking x
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not sure I understand your question, is it whether you are at risk of being a alcoholic? I do not know. It is not that important to me whether I fit a diagnosis or not.

Whether drinking 4 bottles of wine often will impact your health, most studies show it does – big time.

I do not get aggressive or behave bad when I drink – I do in reality feel rather well when drunk. But I have tried to stop and start that often, I know I (and my surroundings) are paying a price for this – and it is in reality not worth it.

There is a addiction doctor here that puts it this way. Addicts start using a drug because it makes them feel good but that mostly changes to they use it to fell less bad.

You start out seeking a good experience, but end out trying to avoid a bad one. If it gives you problems not to drink for 1 month you are in a the latter category.

If you stay in this cycle you can not see what the drug is giving you and to what extent you are fighting your addiction. You need to get out of this cycle to see this.

You say that wine is helping you, I am not sure you are right. If you drink every day, sure you will feel better when drunk – but you are avoiding feeling bad, it is not giving you anything good.

And you will in reality fell a lot better if you get out of this cycle.

Try to stay of it for a couple of months. If you drink 4 bottles of wine regularly, I am sure it will be worth it.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are drinking that much regularly I'd advise that you don't stop drinking cold turkey, as you are in danger of having severe withdrawal and that is dangerous. I drank that much and had to go into inpatient detox for 2 days. They said my blood pressure was dangerously high and it would have been really bad for me to try to stop on my own, suddenly.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
Welcome Kloso, is four bottles of wine just a normal night for you?
Well, normally a regular evening consists of three to four bottles.

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
What do you mean being "careful"? Drinking 4 bottles of wine does not seem careful to me. So No I don't think you are paranoid if you are worried about it.
Thank you. I guess I am just worried about the effects of it then.

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Four bottles of wine is quite a bit. You have acquired a pretty high tolerance given your ability to type, spell things right and punctuate. To me it read like it was written carefully..almost like a drunk walking a straight line. You say you are a quiet person and even more so after alcoholic beverages. You then say it makes you more social. Your thoughts are disjointed Kloso not a tad extraordinary. I suspect you are far more articulate when not under the influence of 4 bottles of wine. I suspect your writing flows rather than comes to hard stops.
For once, I must disagree. My English and native language are a level down before I've drank any alcoholic beverage. Although, with much 'sober' attention, I could achieve the same thing.

Originally Posted by soberhawk View Post
Whether drinking 4 bottles of wine often will impact your health, most studies show it does – big time.

There is a addiction doctor here that puts it this way. Addicts start using a drug because it makes them feel good but that mostly changes to they use it to fell less bad.

You start out seeking a good experience, but end out trying to avoid a bad one. If it gives you problems not to drink for 1 month you are in a the latter category.

You say that wine is helping you, I am not sure you are right. If you drink every day, sure you will feel better when drunk – but you are avoiding feeling bad, it is not giving you anything good.

And you will in reality fell a lot better if you get out of this cycle.

Try to stay of it for a couple of months. If you drink 4 bottles of wine regularly, I am sure it will be worth it.
Drinking affects everyone's health, I agree. Every person should think and drink responsibly, but the reluctant temptation of alcoholic beverages can be deceitful.

As the doctor says, I'm just comfortable with it. Not 'addicted', although I am concerned.

A month without a drink will be absolutely possible, but it won't be as nice, social and comfortable. No withdrawal symptoms though for the last times I have been without any alcohol.

And, as the opposite of what you mention, my feeling about everything is quite well, except the feeling about my health.

That is where I truly agree. The consumption of wine should be contained, regulated and minimalized for own use.

For everyone; Thank you for the advice, and let's do it!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you stay stopped?

if you can, no problem. if you are having a hard time not drinking.......
Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you ever had any blood tests to check your liver function? I drank far less than you and my liver enzymes were quite high and my liver was already damaged. My doctor said if I didn't quit drinking, I would get cirrhosis within a year and that is fatal. That in of itself was enough for me to quit drinking. I could care less at this point whether I am sociable or not. My health is more important right now.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As the doctor says, I'm just comfortable with it. Not 'addicted', although I am concerned.

Kloso,
how would you know? how would the doctor know?
....and if you're so comfortable, why go looking for recovery forums on the internet?
not a criticism, just wondering about your thoughts on these things.
the only way i finally understood i was an alcoholic was when i tried repeatedly to stay away from the stuff and sure wasn't comfortable and kept going back to it time and time again.