Notices

Day 3, not too bad

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3, not too bad

So today I was actually in two situations where my friends were drinking, but I didn't. On a day to day basis it is not always hard not to drink, but given my recent thoughts I felt a little awkward, even though I don't think it showed. I am also trying to quit smoking, so it is easy enough to give that as a reason to skip any alcohol.

I got that feeling of doubting my decision a couple times (I was alone in the car for at least two hours today, lots of time to think), but each time I just thought about all the times I wish I hadn't acted so foolishly and gotten so hammered and done stupid ****. That helped get rid of those thoughts.

I just don't want to make a big production of the whole quitting drinking thing. I just want to quietly rearrange my life and mind set so that it is not the defining moment of my life, but just a decision I came to about what works best for getting the most out of my life. Is this possible? It's not that I don't want to own up to my drinking problem, I just also don't want to shout it from the mountain tops.

Anyway, today was a good day overall, with good friends and sober activities, for me anyway. Hope you all had a good day too.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 3 here too and I have to remind myself of the stupid things I said and did while drunk. My alcoholism has prevented me from making real friendships and being who I really am. Tomorrow is day 4 and I have a weeklong training session to start, so I am glad I will not be irritable and hungover.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done you! I'm just starting my second day and I totally get what your saying 'don't want to make a big production over the whole quitting drinking thing'...I feel exactly the same...the fact that it dominates so much thinking time is frustrating...whether its thinking about drinking or thinking about reasons why you shouldn't/can't drink, it's still there taking up precious space...it's very frustrating ...I'm still at the stage where I wish I could be a social drinker...I feel annoyed with myself when I see others in a social setting just having a two or three drinks and going home...my first mistake was letting alcohol into my house. Anyway onwards and upwards, good luck with the coming days ...stay strong :
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

whitehelp good luck and keep the good work
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Raku' here in Pa. I'm on day 2 (Again !) stayed up all last night & got about 3, not so great, hours of sleep. Not enough, but I'm coping with somewhat of a typical summertime hypo-mania, as well as initial de-tox symptoms. Anyone else here have both alcohol And bipolar issues ? It's a struggle ! I do have a few support systems in place here, at SR, for starters...thank you all for being here.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats everyone on 2, 3 or 4 days. Keep on going