The UnEffing/Home Improvement--Before & After Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The UnEffing/Home Improvement--Before & After Thread

I haven't labeled this thread OT, because a lot of people have observed that making our spaces neat(er), clean(er), and more pleasant and inviting can be VERY therapeutic.

I figured we could start a thread where we can all post our before & after pics, or if not pics, descriptions of what we are working on. I know amy and I are both doing some pretty substantial home renovations, and we've got a few folks working on un-effing projects.

So my ceramic tile floor in my foyer, dining room and kitchen is done (final touchup by baseboards still to be done, but the main grouting is finished. Also, almost all the vinyl tile in my basement was completed this weekend--we still have to put down the rubber flooring for my exercise area next week.

So, first of all, the foyer:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P8040401 small.jpg (28.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Next, the dining room:
Attached Images
P8040399 small.jpg (40.1 KB, 220 views)
Old 08-04-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

And the kitchen:
Attached Images
P8040400 small.jpg (50.2 KB, 217 views)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

And the vinyl tile in the basement:
Attached Images
P8040406 small.jpg (50.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lexie,

I LOVE how that looks in the kitchen..

I also love this thread because I like posting photos but so far have nothing to share.. Maybe this will get my a$$ moving.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Looking good! I just did a lot of repainting/decluttering my upstairs. I wish I would have taken before shots ...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh I adore your kitchen! I'm not working on anything as significant, more along the lines of de-cluttering junk drawers, closets, bathroom cabinets.

Great thread!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I need to go through clothes, boxes. Gotta get rid of some stuff. Gotta get these beautiful dressers we were fortunate enough to come into into the house - outside and covered right now. Too heavy for me to help bring in he says, and I hate to admit it but he's right. Lol. They're dense lol. I saw a beautiful sort of French provincial-esque end table on curb. He asked people at house if we could take it, they said sure, don't forget the marble top! Oh and do you want these two dressers? Yes, and yes! Thank you thank you thank you! Gotta fix them up slightly and I'm looking forward to painting then more traditional French provincial style. Yay! Thanks for the inspiration to get the house looking better and being more functional! Not a ton of space in here, dressers will help us a lot!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Inspirational, Lexie!! Love the kitchen especially! You GO!

I moved last summer, have been working through the emotional stuff (you all know what I'm talking about. Been there, right?) as well as just moving away from the rural town I've been in for the past 15 years. Also, the house I sold; well, there have been complications Seems that the crazy people who bought it breached the contract. Been a lot of the shhmeckle hitting the fan along with that! :rolling eyes:

But I have another big project for when I'm ready.... pull my pottery studio back together.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

A POTTERY STUDIO?? Oh, how COOL.

One thing I have wanted for the past few years is a workshop where I could set up an area to do stained glass. Unfortunately, the area I intended to set up (a section of my basement I planned to close off) is the part of the basement with the foundation cracks--they will eventually have to tear out the walls and the floor in that area, so I'm not even putting in the vinyl tile I plan to put there. Oh, well, it's not like I have time for it right now anyway, but someday.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you will love the tile floors, they are nonporous and easy /fast to clean..cat hair does not stick. i am going with the 22" diagonal pattern in kitchen and radiant heat underneath. ( my son in law is an electrician and will be doing most of that along with rewiring). i agree "clean is serene", it helps to live in a clean organized environment...one of the things i can control.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We ripped out our hardwoods a few years ago and put in a slate looking tile across the back of the house. I think it's 18 inch and is on the diagonal......love it!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've got hardwood and tile all throughout my house and love it.

I like the tile in the basement. I'm looking into ripping up the awful carpet in my basement and just painting the floors and throwing down some rugs or something. That tile, however, looks pretty nice.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

looks fantastic!!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I like the tile in the basement. I'm looking into ripping up the awful carpet in my basement and just painting the floors and throwing down some rugs or something. That tile, however, looks pretty nice.
The tile in the basement is from Lowe's, 88 cents/sf. It's actually pretty nice tile--has a nice texture that really does a nice job of mimicking stone. And it's got a slightly cushiony feel, too--nice to walk on.

I got my samples of laminate in the mail today, and I found one that will be PERFECT for the countertop in my kitchen. Also found a sink and faucet I like, so hopefully I can get that bit done shortly.

This house was built in the mid-70s, so everything is VERY dated (though quite stylish when new) (apart from the excessive mirrors). LOL, when I moved in there was a built-in stereo in the basement with an eight-track player! It was sort of like walking into a time-warp.

I got a call from the carpet installer, and the carpet will go in a week from today! So I re-scheduled my next appointment with the organizer. I thought the carpet would be done before the end of this week and I'm gonna be busy enough getting things ready for the carpet installation that moving the organization to the following week seems like a good idea.

Hopefully I can do something with the bathrooms in the next year or two. I'm sorta maxed out on the improvements I can do for this year once I have the rest of my planned projects done. Oh--and the remaining wallpaper gotta go in a year or so, too--I'll be ready to paint again by then. I painted most of the house five years ago after my sewer backup, but I left the wallpaper in the kitchen, bathrooms, and hallways because it wan't too yucky.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

you might want to try looking at granite countertops with the set in sinks...they are not that expensive. and they wear forever. I have both bathrooms with nice granite tops and built in shelves (from the sink scraps)
Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I know, but for this house, granite countertops would be slight overkill. From the research I've done on the whole thing I think I will be happier with the laminate, and it will be less of a big deal for someone to replace--or even for me to replace if I ever want to change the look again.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lexie, your place is looking great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that you are going with neutral tones. That lasts for ever. Remember those avocado green appliances, and these yellow stoves. Now wallpaper is really quite easy to remove. At least most of them. If the wall was properly prepared before wallpapering. I've done this.

Just need to say, it is all looking so good. It must be a pleasure to come home now.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Looking good Lexie! I love this thread.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sneak preview of the outside of my house. Still a lot of work left