Notices

Need Support

Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Support

Today is day 14 for me. The first 13 days were relatively easy, but today I woke up feeling unsettled. Sunday has always been a hard day for me and I usually started drinking by 11am and drank until I passed out. For some reason today scares me. I don't want to drink but I'm afraid I'll be weak. Please SR friends I need support and encouragement from people who know what I'm going through.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hang in there! You are not alone. Keep posting here for awhile. Also, there are some people in chat room right now too if you need immediate support.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice day for a long walk, might give that a try. As you are "mngrl" I'm guessing you are in MN? That's where I am. Looks like a really nice day to get outside! Usually exercise makes me feel better. (A run really works well but I know running is not for everyone)

Also I find Sunday is a good day to cook and eat something good, it gives me a project to putter around with and a fine meal to gorge upon. (slow-roasted pork shoulder nom nom)

Big meal + several glasses of water makes the idea of drinking less tempting because your body knows the tummy is full!

And +1 to the idea of chat, that's always pretty fun on here
Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you are struggling mngrl. Can you hang around here all day? That is still my number one distraction technique. Otherwise just make sure you do entirely different things than when you were drinking. It takes time to learn new habits x
Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i am doing something productive....cleaning and decluttering, donating....cleaning my house makes me feel less stressed throughout the week too.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You made it this far; just keep doing what you been doing & stay strong !
Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like to spend the day making something nice to eat. I will try something new. TodayI am using peppers from my garden to make andouille soup. Napping is good too. Ty to relax. Tomorrow you will thank yourself when you wake up feeling good.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it's possible, sunshine, fresh air, and some exercise are really helpful. Talking to people here is helpful. You know what I like to do is go to a bookstore and park myself there for hours. Hang in there. It's after 11 AM in Maine (if that's where you are.) I'm originally from that part of the country. Right now, I'm in West Texas. I sure do wish I was in Maine on this Sunday morning.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the great advice. It's 1pm and I'm still sober. The cravings have passed thanks to a great walk with the dog, a long talk with my mother and some serious cleaning of the floors. I really think without this forum I would be drinking instead of typing this. So thanks everyone!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey mngrl...I think we have those "growing pain" days in sobriety. I'm just over 2 months and most of my sobriety has been lovely and breezy...but there have been (insert ominous "dum da dum dum") days! Just a handful of them where I have been completely out of sorts and my sobriety has been tenuous. We get through them and our sobriety is all the stronger for them. SR has been there for me in every one of those days : )
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you tried going to AA meetings? you'll find a ton of support there, too. Good job on your sobriety time and reaching out. Pray, if you believe in that. Ask for your Higher Power to remove the obsession to drink. In AA, we talk about powerlessness. Not only when we take that first drink, but we are also powerless over the Obsession to drink. Alcoholism is like a double edged sword....we have a mental obsession coupled with a physical allergy that makes us keep drinking/not be able to stop.

Personally, I've only found AA to work for me. If that doesn't sound good to you, then keep coming to this site and be honest. You'll find a lot of support here, too.

PM me if you ever want to talk.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, and you've proved that you can get through a craving and hopefully next time, it will be a bit easier.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mngrl View Post

I don't want to drink but I'm afraid I'll be weak.
this may be a good day to read and study the AA Big Book

if you have one

explains our condition all so well

MB
Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No half measures

If I am in a funk an AA meeting works everytime. The worst place for me is inside my own head. Anytjing that gets me outside of myself helps and that usually involves people
Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The AA camp has spoken...don't get me wrong..they are a fine camp and they are a large camp, easily accessible, well organized, warm and welcoming and chock full of wisdom. But there are other camps to be aware of Women for Sobriety, Smart Recovery, SOS, Rational Recovery etc. I have a therapist (who has 20 years sobriety herself), I have SR (where I have found an incredibly strong support accesible 24/7), I read TONS on addiction and recovery and I have a strong spiritual connection which I know is helpful. I have attended AA in the past and I know the wisdom I obtained there has been very helpful to my recovery in the present. Just know there are many options just in case you don't "resonate" with AA because some don't...and then they feel ALONE..which is a huge threat to sobriety. The last time I had sober time, I truly believed that AA was my ONLY option for sobriety and when it didn't work....I thought my only OTHER option was drinking. It's not. Just be open to anything NOT to drink.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No half measures

AA doesnt have the corner on sobriety but unless it absolutely does not work for you why not give it a shot for the reasons you mention. Their is no need to recreate the wheel unless that wheel does not get you to where you need to be. I totally agree with education on addiction. There is tons of good material
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hear you mngrl - Sundays are a difficult day for me as well. I have been relatively fine all week and about 2pm today - the nagging little voice in my head tells me to just pour a drink.

Not going to do it and I hope you don't either. I'm just concentrating on today and today only.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I made it through and didn't drink. I have been to AA before and I did learn a lot, but the people there kept asking me to speak and I'm just not comfortable doing that. They would call on different people and kind of put you on the spot. I know I can pass, but it was just really uncomfortable for me. I do have the big book and I will dust that off and start reading it again. Right now SR is working for me. I feel comfortable posting and I really find strength in it. So thanks again everyone. Looking forward to day 15 tomorrow.