Notices

Empathy

Old 08-04-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Empathy

I'm a newcomer as of today - so please excuse my stumblings, this is difficult for me. Do others feel the same - that there alcoholic partners do not have empathy, emotions, sensitivities or general feelings of kindness, love and understanding. Are they all motivated to the next drink and nothing else?

I'm in dispair with on going health problems and never getting any help or kindness and have to soldier on regardless. I feel that I am spiraling downwards and out of control - so Yesterday I did a search on empathy and was more than surprised by the results esp the scientific review. The out come was that drink can indeed effect the part of the brain that once had these feelings. I would be interested if others agree with this.

What the heck do I do next?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR PinkOrchid

As a recovering alcoholic I can state that my empathy wasn't damaged in the process. In fact my friend often says that I am the opposite of a psychopath in that I have too much empathy. I think people often forget that addiction often comes from a place of pain. I think it can appear that addicts seem to lack empathy though because their addiction takes precedent over everything else, including friends and family. Personally, I felt judged by them though so in some respects part of my drinking was done to protect me from the pain I perceived myself to be suffering from them. I know that isn't logical or wise but it's what I did. I don't think anyone means to hurt others but sometimes it is an unfortunate side effect.

Glad you are here, and please don't forget to introduce yourself on the friends and family forum too x
Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everything hypochondriac said. That was my experience, too.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think abuse of alcohol does create emotional tunnel vision, you are not sensitive towards others well being – you are focused on your self and your own addiction. My experience at least.

I agree with hypochodriac that high sensitivity can have driven them to alcohol, so we alcoholics have the potential to be good empathic persons.

But I do not think I have ever met a drinking alcoholic I have not considered selfish, my self included.