Notices

Hes in rehab...im in the real world

Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MTD

Hes in rehab...im in the real world

OMG...why do I feel such resentment towards my husband. We are both alcoholics and he decided to go to rehab. He has been there two weeks now. I quit drinking for a week then started again. I feel such anger that he is getting the help and support while I am left here fighting on my own. Ive gone to AA but its not the same help the he is getting. Now there is no money for me to go to rehab. I feel he is a selfish person for taking care of himself and the hell with me. Am a screwed up in feeling this way?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think when we drink we can focus intensely on ourselves....sometimes we can do
that too much, I think.

I resented everyone by the end, and I'm not a bad person, I was just sick.

Try to be glad for your husband - very few of us get the chance of rehab.

If you really think you need rehab, contact the Salvation Army - it's a 6 month programme, but it's free.

If thats not a goer for you, you'll have to do what the rest of us do - a recovery programme like AA, or counselling, or seeing your Dr or outpatient rehab.

Recovery is still very achievable that way.
Rehabs not the only help around

D
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that both of you deserve to be healthy. I can understand the anger behind it, but I also think that love is not about the money. Many people have a huge amount of mixed emotions when their partner leaves and stays in a rehab. He needs to take care of himself in order to he able to be available in a marriage. You need to take care of yourself also. He is selfish in the right way, imo. I am sorry for your hurt. You can achieve sobriety.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

No, you are just jealous and that is an okay emotion. He needs help and right now, that will come before you. Just like you need to be taking care of yourself and not festering in self pity. Focus on what you need to do and go for it with all youve got. Everyone's road to recovery is different. Also, I hate to be blunt, but your thinking is messed up now due to the effects of chronic alcohol abuse, so how you feel now may completely change if you get sober and stick with it. In sobriety, you get free in more ways that one........and one of the biggest is learning to let go of anger and resentment.