Notices

A future together

Old 08-03-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A future together

Hi all. My spouse is an alcoholic/prescription drug user who checked into rehab 2 days ago. I have been visiting this forum intermittently over the last few months. I found it because I was looking for affirmation that people in a relationship where one is addicted actually stay together. We have been married for 15 years, and I knew about the problem drinking before I married him. He has had periods of sobriety over the years. I don't have to tell you that he is a different person when he is sober. He is not abusive when he drinks/uses; I guess 'absent' would be the best way to describe it. I would no sooner abandon the person he is inside than I would abandon him if he were stricken with Alzheimer's.
I attended 12 step meetings 17 years ago when he tried employer mandated rehab. I was discouraged because it seemed to me that the groups were made up of former spouses/partners, and I was/am not interested in giving up on my AH.
This forum and the rehab's family program is helping me identify my destructive behaviors and reactions. I thought "his drinking" was the whole problem, but I am sick too.
The days ahead are uncertain and scary. We will do our best. Today, he is safe.
It appears that most relationships do not survive addiction, but it is encouraging to know that there are some who stay together, sober or not.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Good Luck CatOfTheCanals,

I hope you can both enjoy life ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR CatOfTheCanals

It is lovely to hear how supportive you are of your husband and I am sure you will do well together. I wish you both the best in your recovery x