Notices

Back to school. Scared!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to school. Scared!

I'm three weeks sober today. I feel pretty solid about not drinking. I feel like its the best decision I've ever made so I haven't really been struggling with it. I'm a bartender. And while bar tending doesn't make me wanna drink but the late hours and being around drunk idiots all the time is wearing on me. I've been thinking about going back to school to do hair. I did ten years ago but my credits expired. Anyway I'd be going to school full time and working four days a week for ten months. It's the best thing for me and I know it but is it crazy of me to try this in early recovery? I don't feel shakey in my recovery but I'd like to ask you guys your thoughts. I need a way out of the bar business and this could be it. I've done school and work at the same time before. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

DustyBoots, 3 weeks sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think if you wouldn't be over-burdened with stress than if anything it sounds like a great plan. Staying busy, having a positive goal to work for and getting out of the alcohol service industry sound like good steps forward in recovery to me. Again, so long as you feel pretty sure you could manage that schedule without resorting to drinking over stress--that's a call for you to make yourself.

Congrats on 3 weeks.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From my experience, the best thing that I did for myself in the early stages of sobriety was to go back to school. I needed something to focus on, and work towards. My mind was quickly occupied with the next paper, and discussions that I needed to get turned in. I do not have time to drink. I could find the time, but it is not worth it. I set a few goals for myself within the academic realm, and I am accomplishing those goals. One was to maintain a high GPA. This is only being accomplished because I am clear headed enough to dedicate my time to my studies. I think that this decision to go back to school is great. You can do it and you will be better off in the long run. There is no time like the present to make positive changes in your life.
Shoot for the stars!!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Dustyboots View Post
I'm three weeks sober today. I feel pretty solid about not drinking. I feel like its the best decision I've ever made so I haven't really been struggling with it. I'm a bartender. And while bar tending doesn't make me wanna drink but the late hours and being around drunk idiots all the time is wearing on me. I've been thinking about going back to school to do hair. I did ten years ago but my credits expired. Anyway I'd be going to school full time and working four days a week for ten months. It's the best thing for me and I know it but is it crazy of me to try this in early recovery? I don't feel shakey in my recovery but I'd like to ask you guys your thoughts. I need a way out of the bar business and this could be it. I've done school and work at the same time before. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Anything you can do to step out of the routine you are/were in is a positive thing in recovery. You dont need to be in a bar, and as sad as it is, a lot of employees in the bar scene never get out. When I worked as a DJ from 03-06, I started the same time as some other staff, and they are all still working there. Many have addiction battles going on as well. Its just not a great atmosphere for personal growth and change. I think going to school and changing your world is a fantastic idea. If you feel ready, then that is all that matters. I was in school when I drank and during getting sober, it was a good way to focus my newfound energy into something besides thinking about alcohol and going out.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds good to me! Go for it!