Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Up close and personal with alcohol this evening...but I played the tape and said NO

Notices

Up close and personal with alcohol this evening...but I played the tape and said NO

Old 08-02-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm proud of myself. Without going into too much detail - I arrived at my ex's, we had a brief chat, I watched him go to the kitchen and return with 2 glasses, ice, whiskey and coke. He made 2 drinks. I don't know why but I never stopped him. I watched him drinking his. Mine remained on the table. He finished, poured himself another, still chatting away to me. I just stood there, instead of impulsively jumping right in or giving right in, I slowed everything down. Slow motion. I played the tape to it's ugly end. He finished his second drink and asked "are you having that?". "No" I said, and that was it.
I stayed for another 2 hours and cooked and chatted. I found a quiet moment and read some SR posts and felt good, good that I had done the right thing. I am home now, sober and happy. I do not regret not drinking. Tomorrow is day 6, it could've easily been another day 1.
Thanks to everyone here, I couldn't do it without you
Old 08-02-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good work! Couldn't have been easy at all!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Must have been tough butterfly, but would have been even tougher to have woken up knowing that you are back on DAY 1. WELL DONE!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No one wakes up sober wishing they had drank the night before. Good job!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job... You should be very proud! How empowering to find that kind of strength in yourself!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job... but why are you putting yourself willingly in front of alcohol like this? That is a huge temptation. Could you have avoided this situation?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Well done hen!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

That's awesome butterfly!!! It gets easier too!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

While I'm really pleased that you made it through - and congrats- your ex's place was the place you stumbled last time wasn't it?

I think Jennie has a good idea - I understand the only way your ex will help with the kids is if you go there to him, but is there any way you can change the dynamics of all that at all?

I dunno - it sounds a little bit toxic to you right now?

D
Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear you Dee and Jennie and I totally appreciate and understand your concern. It is an extremely complicated situation and I am working in it, I promise. I've dramatically reduced the amount of time I spend there ( I was practically living there until a few weeks ago) and getting through last nights scenario was massive for me. I have discovered I now have the strength I have been praying for. I feel empowered by my own actions and I am going to run with it.
There are likely to be many more similar scenarios in the coming days, weeks, months and years but I will do my best to minimise them, especially now, during my early sobriety.
Thanks again guys - your support is amazing
Old 08-03-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job. Although people will say you should avoid all alcohol situations in early recovery (and you should) it is just not possible to avoid every encounter in my experience. Now that you passed this test, you can pass the next one too. I do recommend avoiding whenever possible.