Notices

Fist time speaking tonight!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fist time speaking tonight!

I am speaking at an AA meeting in a women's inpatient rehab tonight. It is my first time and I am pretty nervous! But also excited! My friend asked me to do it mid-week so I am glad I have not had a lot of time to think about it lol I believe my higher power worked through her because as most of you know I have been struggling these past few weeks. Her asking me to speak woke me up from my funk. I can still be helpful. I am still sober. With the latter two, I am capable of carrying the message. Wish me luck and say a quick prayer if you pray that I may carry the message well to someone who really needs it If anything, this will help me a lot, so guess it's a win win
Old 08-02-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll have a blast! I remember my first time speaking at a meeting. My sponsor asked me a week before the meeting (so I got to be nervous for a week). I decided that I was amongst people who had been where I'd been, and the nervousness just disappeared. It was a great experience and I hope to do it again soon.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Smile

I think it's great that you are doing this. You will connect with the women there. At least one person there (if not more) will be able to relate to what you share tonight.

I remember many years ago when I told my story at a women detox facility. I only had a couple months sober and was nervous about it. My sponsor told me I would be ok and that the women there would appreciate what I had to share. (This place was a 14 day detox so the women there had anywhere from 1 to 14 days sober.) Sponsor said there wouldn't be any pressure plus they were all women so that made me feel a little more comfortable. Everything went well. Once I started sharing the fear disappeared. I did say a prayer before the meeting started. It definitely helped.

You will do a good job. Just be honest and be yourself. You may never know what life-changing effect you may have with one of the women in attendance. God bless!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck. I am sure you will do fine. Rooting for ya here in Texas.
Peace, Love and Hope. You have way more courage than I do. I was asked to speak several times when I was in AA but never had the courage to do so. Kudos to you! Your confidence gives me hope.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll be great. Just share from your heart and it will be fine.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Quit

D
Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just speak from your heart and you'll be fine!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How'd it go Quit? Excited to hear about your experience.

I am sure you were fabulous!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the well wishes It was an awesome experience!! As soon as they started reading "how it works" I calmed down because really it was just an AA meeting and I have been to many of those lol But really, I said it was my first time speaking and that I was so happy to be there and that just knowing we can all relate really put me at ease. I know it's not a HUGE deal but this was a big step for me in my recovery. It's like I want more! Being helpful and having a purpose and the support from my friends who came...that is PRICELESS. It's like having a following of people who love me. And I love them. It's just so cool. After the meeting we went to the recovery club and there was an open mic. Got to see some of my friends in the program in action with their talents. This was a good day and I am embracing it wholeheartedly
Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you! That took courage and it sounds like you sailed right through it!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations. One correction, it was a big deal to many of us that won't do it! And the good feelings afterward were to me unavailable in a bottle. I was often puzzled that at the end of the commitment a woman might come to me and say thank you, you said what I needed to hear. That lengthened the feeling but never did one say what it was? A suggestion once told me by a sponsor was good in many cases was to say a prayer like "please guide my words and thoughts and KISS." BE WELL
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm very happy for you quit. This may just be what you need right now. Good work.