Notices

Well, I've reached my 1-year milestone!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I've reached my 1-year milestone!

One year ago my life was in shambles. My wife had left me, I was drinking daily, and had no idea how to stop, but I entered rehab
Stayed there for one week and went through detox and attended many group sessions. After I got out I almost relapsed. I came so close a few times, but I fought and I fought and I fought. Soon one month went by, then another and another.

I built my relationship back up with my wife, started feeling better, and the more the days passed, the less I thought about Alcohol. Cravings would hit every so often, but over the months they got easier to control.

Later, I was even offered alcohol from people, but I was strong enough to turn it down each time. Now, I am one year sober. I still take it day-by-day, but I know I can continue the good fight.

To all of you who are wanting to be free from the beast, or who are struggling and fighting to combat the urges and tugs. YOU CAN DO THIS! I never thought that I could, but I did and still am!
Nothing worth fighting for is ever easy! Just remember you can do anything if you grit your teeth and set your will to it!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an awesome and inspiring post! Thank you and congratulations!!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on a year and many more to come
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
What an awesome and inspiring post! Thank you and congratulations!!
Thank you!
I just hope someone who is struggling or want to stop but is afraid can read this and say "Hey, he done a year, and he ain't no different than I am. So, I can do it also!"
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one year sober!!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, CoalEater! For me (I am almost six months sober), it is always the question of: will I actually be able to turn it down because I have no desire to drink anymore at all (the AA Promises) or just because so much time passed between me and my last drink that the urge is gone?

When you said you were eventually strong enough to turn it down each time...was that because it just became habit to turn it down or was that because of your program, etc.? I can turn it down now because I am rarely in situations where I am being offered alcohol but that is purposeful on my part.

In either case, your achievement is wonderful and I am so glad you posted about it!!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Thanks, CoalEater! For me (I am almost six months sober), it is always the question of: will I actually be able to turn it down because I have no desire to drink anymore at all (the AA Promises) or just because so much time passed between me and my last drink that the urge is gone?

When you said you were eventually strong enough to turn it down each time...was that because it just became habit to turn it down or was that because of your program, etc.? I can turn it down now because I am rarely in situations where I am being offered alcohol but that is purposeful on my part.

In either case, your achievement is wonderful and I am so glad you posted about it!!
Thank you,
When I got out of rehab, I didn't go to AA or enter any program. I am not in any way, shape or form against them, I just had no way to go at the time.
When I was first offered alcohol (three times in one day) I was about at my 10 month being sober. I turned it down because I myself just don't want to get hooked on it any more. I know for a fact that if I even just took a sip, it would be all over for me, and I would start back again.

I never put myself in the situation to be offered one before that, so I don't think that it was habit. I just used my brain this time, and knew that if I did, I would be drinking again. I don't miss it at all, and I don't want it in my life ever again. It was like a chain bounding me down, and it feels so good not to have to worry if I have enough money for it, if I have enough of it to last, etc.

I was very proud of myself that day. I wasn't expecting to be in that situation, and I am glad I didn't fail. I relapsed in the past, when I quiet years ago. And this time it felt good to know how the addiction works.
I hope this answered you question and if you have any more, feel free to ask.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Job well done. Hearing your news really cheered me on!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Thank you for your post coaleater, it is good to see another regular guy make it! Well done!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome! One year is quite the accomplishment. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations

D
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Congratulations!

Another victory for DETERMINATION!

Next goal (mine too....) 2 years.

Good Job CoalEater!