Notices

40 Days Sober and a Football Meeting...

Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

40 Days Sober and a Football Meeting...

Hello All,

Yesterday was 40 days sober for me. I went to a beginning of the season; meet the other parents, coaches, and players type of meeting for my son’s football team last night. In the past, I would have had at least 2 glasses of wine before attending the meeting, telling myself it was to combat shyness, the anxiety of meeting new people, not measuring up, and whatever else…I would have been just a little too chatty at the meeting, went home and finished my bottle of wine, and then the next morning wondered if I said anything inappropriate or offensive. Then worried all day how others perceived me and if it was obvious I was buzzed. I would have felt shame, guilt, embarrassment, anxiety, and a bunch of other emotions over what should have been just a “football meeting”.

Last night was so different, I felt proud of myself for attending sober, I was quiet but friendly, I was confident afterwards that I looked fine, fit in, and acted completely appropriate. My ex-husband came, sat next to me, ordered a beer, it was at a sports bar/restaurant type of place. I had water with lemon, it felt so good to be there for my son sober and be able to remember everything and just really “be there” for him.

Thanks all for listening.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on forty days sober!!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 40 days! Awesome.

I don't know if you realize it, but posts like this are so inspirational and important to others in early recovery trying to decide if sobriety is worth it. This is where it's at. This is the good stuff people are wondering about or not aware of. So beautiful.

P.S. You sound like a cool mom. I'm an adult child of an alcoholic and I bet your son appreciates this more than you will ever know.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

BBB, brilliant! How awesome do you feel!!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is awesome to be sober and realize that we can hold our own in social situations...congratulations!!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 40 days sober. Knowing that we are at full "capacity" is well worth it. You are creating new memories, and this is something to be proud of. Good for you.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks for posting this! It's always excellent to walk away from a situation dignity fully intact!

Congratulations on the 40 days too!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you BBB!

D
Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Fatally

Originally Posted by FatallyUncool View Post
Congratulations on 40 days! Awesome.

I don't know if you realize it, but posts like this are so inspirational and important to others in early recovery trying to decide if sobriety is worth it. This is where it's at. This is the good stuff people are wondering about or not aware of. So beautiful.

P.S. You sound like a cool mom. I'm an adult child of an alcoholic and I bet your son appreciates this more than you will ever know.
Thanks for your reply Fatally, I am always kind of apprehensive to post out of the blue on something. What seems like a big deal to me might not be to others. I appreciate what you said ALOT! I am an adult child too and my Dad was never there, ever, in any way.