Notices

New round here

Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New round here

This thread serves two purposes: one to introduce myself, and two, to thank everyone for an amazing amount of honesty, insight and support. I think this community does wonders, even for lurkers. Congratulations on creating such an open and supportive community of clearly diverse folks, with a similar "opportunity for further learning" (as I call problems).

So to everyone here, who are posting their opinions, encouragement, and life stories.

So hi- I'm Mangoes. Realized a few weeks ago that I was using alcohol (and food - but that's part of the same problem for me) to fill some holes I've been feeling in my life for the past year. I know the problems go deeper than that, but a move far from friends and a new job from home really brought along some feelings of isolation I wasn't ready for. Unfortunately, I filled that hole the wrong way. Moving along now with clean body, clear head, and clear intention. Clearly, it will take some time to work on the things that need fixing, but I am trying to focus on that, and on my needs, for the first time in my life. Feeling pretty empowered,but know it won't be perfect. Part of my plan is to log in here when I feel isolated, to help remind me that there are people everywhere with their own complications in life.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello Mangoes ,

Good luck with it ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mangoes! You're right, SR is an absolutely amazing place. I've learned a great deal since coming here; it's a mainstay in my recovery journey. Hope you find it to be as helpful as I have.

Again, welcome, and please don't hesitate to ask about anything at all!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Mangoes

I am glad you think this site helps the lurkers too I am always slightly depressed by how many more guests there are than members participating but that's okay if it's helping people.

Glad to hear you're moving on from alcohol. I have had food issues too along with a few others so know it can be a bit tough to level things out. You'll find a lot of support here x
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mangoes, It's nice to meet you. This site is a great help. It gives us a place to heal together!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, mangoes, keep posting!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hypochondriac- I'm sure there are many people who, like me, lurk in the shadows, but digest what's here. I "logged" time every day for the last several weeks; reading, learning, pondering, reflecting. I think the high number of guests on here demonstrates that there are people returning often, but for whatever reason, aren't ready to participate and share. Could be a matter of shared computers, privacy, not ready to admit they have a problem... Who knows. I just know I found help just skulking, and I doubt I'm alone in that.

Of course, actually signing in and not hiding in the corners was a stretch exercise for myself.. And I feel relieved that I did. Those first few weeks- heck no!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You've come to the right place, recently just joined myself and everyone has been great and supportive.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mangoes, welcome!

Thanks for sharing your story.
It sounds like you're on the right path, and yes, SR is a wonderful community.
I like your "opportunity for further learning" concept!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mangoes - very glad you found us

D
Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!