Therapists Suggestion

Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Therapists Suggestion

I have to let you all know that my therapist is so great. I saw him yesterday and I was not doing good at all. Today, I feel a million times better. He had this fantastic suggestion for me that seems like the most common sense idea, yet it literally had never occurred to my codependent brain. He told me that when I am thinking and thinking and thinking about my husband and the horrible things that might happen soon, I should just actively think about something else. I thought he was joking but then he had me just relax and force myself to think of something other than AH. IT WORKED! The rest of the night whenever a bad thought popped in my head, I replaced it with thinking of my kids or things I need to get done for me. I cannot believe how simple it is and yet I never even thought of doing it. Yesterday I thought of nothing but AH and his problems, today, I have thought of all the good things I am going to make happen for me and my kids. I will still be there to cheer on AH and his sobriety, but for once, I feel important again. I am so grateful for this tiny yet life changing suggestion.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks and keep those tips coming.

I do that sometimes but I need to do it all the time. It is always nice to have something to do 'instead'.

Kari
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too had to learn to replace the obsession about my son and his addiction with healthier, happier thoughts.

I found that reading a good book, or travel magazines and just dreaming, or walking in nature and taking pictures of the beauty I found there, all helped clear my mind and fill it with healthier thoughts.

We are what we think. If we think negative thoughts filled with worry and fear, anger and resentment, dread and sorrow...we become sick and depressed and sad. If we think positive thoughts, fill our minds with inspirational readings and beautiful sights and music...we become happy and beautiful inside too.

I like your therapist, he summed up what took me years to learn.

Hugs
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice post.