Notices

BAD Insomnia here...

Old 07-31-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BAD Insomnia here...

I am just NOT able to sleep lately and I'm beyond frustrated. I'm expecting a baby soon so I can't take NyQuil or most other sleep aids. We are not talking about missing a few hours here and there; this is like night 8 or 9 of me getting less than 2 hours total. I'm starting to get loopy and everything is a fog. I can't seem to drive safely or talk without getting tripped up. Depression setting in really bad. I have no idea what to do? The doctor said its pretty normal. Really? Less than 2 hours per night for over a week? Recommended Tylenol PM if absolutely needed. I tried it. Hate it. Feel awful all day when taking it. I know I can't die from lack of sleep but its starting to feel that way!

I never had this problem until I got sober. Is anyone else a really bad sleeper? What do you do besides take meds? Help. I just don't want to go crazy. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey babyjane this may have more to do with pregnancy then sobriety. With both my children the last month was sleepless! My dr said it was extremely common and actually may be physiological your body prepping for the first few months of your baby's incessant night wakefulness. If you can take cat naps through out the day that helps. Also try not to eat or drink to much a few hours before bed. Congrats on you new arrival
Old 07-31-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could not sleep at all towards the end of my pregnancy.

I was too hot, too big, itchy feet and restless legs.

I tried not to get wound up by it.
I would stay in bed, read here or look on the internet.

A bit of hot milk and a warm bath might help you.

Just remember when your baby is born their body clocks will be all messed up.

When your active during the day, your walking and movement lulls them to sleep.
At night when your still and asleep. they are awake and moving around.

Is this your first baby?

Its hard hunnie, I've been there!

I wish you the best. xx
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awwww.... Thank you both! Yes, first baby. Totally freaked / excited / still can't believe it haha. I was not aware that insomnia is so common in pregnancy until recently. I kind of thought it was just me because when I got sober I never slept in the beginning and I assumed it was the same anxiety issues returning from long term opiate habituation or something (as in, I got too used to taking opiates and sleeping so they became my cue to sleep ). I will just have to deal with this and hope for the best maybe? I keep telling myself its not forever... But you are right about patterns being mixed up. Baby is awake right now, has hiccups. Poor little dude. Well, maybe the warm milk thing is worth a shot. Guess I'm not alone! Thx again.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember bringing my tiny little daughter home from hospital.
She was only 4lbs!
She was like a little dot.

I was convinced I was having a having a big boy because I was huge!
But no out popped this little delicate girl.

I was convinced after the first two week I was going to die from sleep deprivation.
She would be asleep all day, then on a night be screaming her head off that she was hungry, nappy changed, winded etc.

I didn't feel part of everyday life as we seemed to be up all night and asleep all day.

She is still a total nightmare now and she is 3 now!

I super excited for you!
Despite the lack of sleep I would still do it again in a heart beat if I could do!

Maybe watch some video's on you tube on how to swaddle your baby.
I think I did not swaddle enough and she might have slept better if I had.

xxxx
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

A father here...I take melatonin, which helps lull me to sleep. It is a natural product, but I would check to make sure it is safe first. My wife would just sleep whenever she could...many, many naps per day. So exciting! Enjoy the ride, it goes so quickly.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

4lbs! So tiny! I bet it's amazing watching her grow up. I'm having a boy and I can't wait to meet him. He is already my new best buddy - fiancée still seems kind of hesitant to get into daddy mode but I know that's normal for men. My guy friend told me he "really became a dad" when he first held his newborn daughter. For women, we seem to become moms as soon as we are pregnant so there's more stress at times I suppose? I'm looking over at my guy fast asleep and I'm jealous! Haha.

I'm glad you said that you would do this all over again. I have to keep reminding myself it is worth it. Another friend of mine recently told me she pretty much regretted having kids; said what a thankless job motherhood is and how it destroyed her marriage / career! I thought about it all night last night! So maybe some of this is ridiculous anxiety. I doubt I will feel like she claims to feel although I know I'm in for some major changes and learning how to do this will be hard. I agree it is wonderful overall. We are blessed.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The thank you'd will be far and few between your friend is correct there. But the overwhelming love you will feel will be mind blowing!!! You are a very lucky woman to be concouring your sobriety Pre baby! You world is about to change for the better!!!! Being a mom is the most amazing thing you will ever do!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You should join our moms group in support section.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would check the melatonin first.
In the UK it is a prescription only medicine.

We cannot buy it like you guys can in the states.

Honestly that first year is so amazing.
The first smile
The first time they turn over onto their tummies!

My daughter walked at 10 months!

The way they learn to speak and all the words they learn.
Just fabulous.

I had a 48 hour labour, emergency c section and I still consider it to be the best moment of my life ever!

The first few months are hard.
It seems like endless feeding, nappy changes, lack of sleep, but as soon as there over the newborn bit and start to get some personality then it gets more fun.

All the baby boys I know love their mummy"s very much too.
I think they give their mums more cuddles and kisses than baby girls do.

XXXX
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The very best is the first time they come running, wrap their little arms around you, and say, "I love you!"

Ha ha, my wife had a 45 minute labor...I don't see what the big deal is! LOL!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
The very best is the first time they come running, wrap their little arms around you, and say, "I love you!"

Ha ha, my wife had a 45 minute labor...I don't see what the big deal is! LOL!
If I were there I would slap you upside the head, Jazzfish!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I could have driven to London and back and London and back again in the time it took me!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm with you Sasha, 36 hours for me.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
If I were there I would slap you upside the head, Jazzfish!
I'd deserve it! My wife got very lucky. The first one was a bit longer at about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good time to connect with the One up above

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post

I never had this problem until I got sober. Is anyone else a really bad sleeper? What do you do besides take meds? Help. I just don't want to go crazy. Thanks.
when I sobered up years ago for prox 3 years
I was working hard and not drinking or using
but
could not get much sleep for what seemed to be a year or so
I just fought through it
knowing that anything was better than returning to the drink
this got better in time
but
now that I'm older
and sobered up again (5 years)
I still don't sleep that well
kind of gotten used to it
actually I enjoy my long nights with not much sleep
I was out in the Jacuzzi this morning at around 4am
good time to connect with the One up above

if you are one who enjoys God's Word
I have the entire bible on a two part DVD set
and have found out with time
if I play it on my TV fairly low volume
it helps me to sleep
who knows
I may even learn something while sleeping to it
anyway
beats some crime drama playing in the backround

many ones who have trouble sleeping
leave the TV on low
it will bore one to sleep in time
as we listen to the same news over and over

Mountainman
Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Have you thought of any names yet Baby Jane?
Is the baby going to have its own nursery after he stops sleeping (fingers crossed) near you?

So exciting!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

BabyJane, I have definitely experienced bad insomnia as well. I saw a naturopath and she put me on an herbal sleep aid/relaxant called Sedaplex. It has valerian root in it as well as some other relaxing herbs. I take it during the day as well to help my anxiety, just a smaller dose. I'm not sure if it would be safe during pregnancy though. You could find out, if so it has really helped me a lot. If not, I know when I was pregnant my Dr. told me to take Benadryl to help me sleep. Good luck, it should get better with time.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety and becoming a new mom soon! On day 6 of sobriety here. My insomnia is getting worse, not better. I have tried everything! Still don't get to sleep until 5 am and up at 10 am. But this too shall pass.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I looked into melatonin and I will try it; told my doctor I have extreme restless leg syndrome and feel apprehensive about taking melatonin because it says not to on the label. He did some research and told me that under 3mg was fine. Basically, here is my opinion: the FDA will never test and approve non-drugs so they always have to put a label on it stating pregnant women shouldn't take it. How can Tylonel PM be okay but not melatonin? Drug companies want you to believe that only prescription drugs are the answer. I will consider taking it if the insomnia gets so bad I feel like I simply can't function. I'm not giving this advice to anyone, just saying this is my experience. I did finally fall asleep at 5am my time and I slept until about 8:30am so that's actually decent. I agree with those of you who say wait it out... Sometimes we have to go through some discomfort and just deal with what comes.

Thanks for your help and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the stories about your little ones. Someone asked about my baby's name. It is a cool story. Before I knew if the baby was a boy or a girl I remembered how I often had re-occuring dreams with a little boy by my side and it was always the same child but I never knew who this person was! I took that as a sign I guess? I knew it was a boy in my heart and so I chose a name and told no one at the time it was too early. One weekend the fiancée and I went hiking and we climbed to the top of the trail. Carved into a rock was the name I had chosen! No other names either - just that one. I took a picture. It was bizarre. After that my son had his name : Judah (Jude for short). Then a few weeks ago I found out that in the Old Testament Jude was the son of Leah. My first name is Leah. Too weird. So that's it! He will be here soon I can't wait!!!