Notices

Four Days..and counting

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MTD

Four Days..and counting

Went to my second AA meeting and its amazing the support other alcoholics give. They only know to well what you are going through.

Here I am up at 11:36 pm cant sleep have to work tomorrow but I am SOBER and I know I will be tired but with no hangover! That is priceless
Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, MTD, way to go. Better not sleeping than drinking! It is 1:47 AM here, LOL. I am still looking for that elusive AA meeting where I feel I fit in and find those friendly folks. I have been to 4 and will keep trying, for now.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
Good for you, MTD, way to go. Better not sleeping than drinking! It is 1:47 AM here, LOL. I am still looking for that elusive AA meeting where I feel I fit in and find those friendly folks. I have been to 4 and will keep trying, for now.
keep going you will find it. it took me almost two months 3 different city's but at last I find one that I feel like I fit in. and it's funny it's the one I did not want to go.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Efra, I will. That gives me hope. I just keep reading all these stories about how friendly and welcoming the AA folk are and I have not seen it. I actually left one meeting about to cry an older woman made me feel so bad.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Efra, I will. That gives me hope. I just keep reading all these stories about how friendly and welcoming the AA folk are and I have not seen it. I actually left one meeting about to cry an older woman made me feel so bad.
sorry to hear that, just keep trying, but in the mean time came here any time you will find the support you need, went you want to chat you can message me for the moment had lots of time to spare. don't get discourage what works for me some times is the serenity prayer. some thing else I being doing at meetings it's to introduce myself it's harder ( how easy is went you got booze ) but now I can see that with time it will get easy and people at the meetings are noticing me and talking to me, it just take time and effort on ourselves.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

6 days sober here. I went to my second AA meeting last night and enjoyed it! It was out of town and I didn't know anybody (unlike my first meeting here in town). I plan on trying different meeting places until I find the one where I feel most comfortable and stick with that.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MTD

ALCOHOL: INSIDIOUS: operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an insidious disease.

SOBER: SERENITY: the state or quality of being serene, calm, or tranquil; sereneness.

This is what I keep in my head and in my heart.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hit the 3 week mark yesterday but i can feel myself running low!! was thinking about joining AA but this post has made me realise that it's definitely the right thing for me. Just hope i can find one that works for me.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MTD View Post
Went to my second AA meeting and its amazing the support other alcoholics give. They only know to well what you are going through.

Here I am up at 11:36 pm cant sleep have to work tomorrow but I am SOBER and I know I will be tired but with no hangover! That is priceless
Congratulations. You are doing great and I'm glad the meeting was good for you.

I know when I quit my drug of choice that I just had to accept that I wasn't going to sleep much for a while. It gets better.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, LuLu that is awful! I'm sorry you had this experience. I am active in NA, and there are quite a few members there whose drug of choice is alcohol. That may be an option for you. But I have to admit, at first I didn't feel like I fit in, either. I was focusing on the differences and not the similarities. Sometimes I still do but that is part of my recovery.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great Feeling

I love the feeling of being tired but yet I don't have a hangover! I fell off the wagon and today I'm hating myself. Hung over and missed work. I can't wait to get that sober feeling back. I just wish it would stick.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, fatally uncool, I have been to two meetings where the topic was similarities. The irony of the situation with the old bat was that she was quick to point out that I was not going to achieve 90 meetings in 90 days like she did...so much for looking at the similarities, LOL. At the meetings I have attended everyone seems to have their own little cliques. They might smile and say hello on their way to get coffee but that is about it. I am feeling guilty about not having gone to a meeting in a few days but am still having a hard time grasping some of the concepts. Wish my dad were still around, he would have kicked me in the butt much earlier and been able to explain it all to me. He was a lifelong alcoholic who only got sober in his 60's after fully committing to AA. On a more optimistic note I am on day 11 and still sober.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes LuLu! That is fantastic. I hope you keep trying and find a group that welcomes you and feels right. Then maybe find a sponsor who will give you that butt-kicking.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks, fatally uncool, I have been to two meetings where the topic was similarities. The irony of the situation with the old bat was that she was quick to point out that I was not going to achieve 90 meetings in 90 days like she did...so much for looking at the similarities, LOL. At the meetings I have attended everyone seems to have their own little cliques. They might smile and say hello on their way to get coffee but that is about it. I am feeling guilty about not having gone to a meeting in a few days but am still having a hard time grasping some of the concepts. Wish my dad were still around, he would have kicked me in the butt much earlier and been able to explain it all to me. He was a lifelong alcoholic who only got sober in his 60's after fully committing to AA. On a more optimistic note I am on day 11 and still sober.
Congratulation on 11 days keep it up lulu. Maybe you can try different meeting in a different place.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will give it a shot at some point, Efra. I have a really hard time walking into new places and was hoping the meeting I went to would work for me. The gentleman at the AA hotline I called said it was a great group. Maybe it is me and the vibe I am putting off. Not sure I do not suffer from some sort of social anxiety disorder.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi lulu
You know went I went to a few meetings at the beginning I was scare that I will not make friends and I did and still afraid because I had an accent my first language is Spanish but I only speak English and I only go two AA meetings in English. I belive that you are going to meet people in do time just keep going our sobriety depends on it.