Notices

New here and 7 days sober...

Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and 7 days sober...

I am 7 days sober and pretty much lost. I am trying to figure out how to learn to function everyday without drinking. It was such a huge part of my life that I even did it at work most days. (I thought that was a benefit of being self employed at the time.) Any suggestions on how to teach myself to function daily without the sauce???
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ironman

for me it was a skill I had to learn all over again - not easy but not impossible either.

Find yourself some good support and use it - noone really does this alone, IMO.
D
Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Greetings and congrats on your first 7 days, that's huge!

Do you have a support group? That can help a tremendous amount. And try to get some exercise and stay mentally active. Meditation can also work wonders.

Hang in there and stick with it. Millions of others have beaten this thing and you can, too.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey thanks for the encouragement!! Unfortunately I do not have a support group. No one close to me seems to understand alcoholism. My parents are even more of a negative influence than a positive one because of this. I stumbled across this site and decided to become a member in hopes that I could find out how others have beaten it. As far as staying mentally active, I have been reading a lot and drawing new designs for my ironwork. I had a very successful business not long ago but life and booze seemed to get in the way. (more so booze than life.) I am still self employed on a part time basis though and it takes up a lot of my time to be honest, but I still find myself thinking the wrong things... lol Guess I need to be reprogrammed!!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No worries, ironman, we all need to be reprogrammed! Congrats on 7 days, that is awesome.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really taking it as it comes. It gets easier as you go along. Sobriety is worth it! Your head will be clearer and it will be easier to think also. Be present and do one thing at a time.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I could have tried to have been more helpful with your original question. I am only on day 10, live alone and am unemployed so having plenty of time on my hands. To be honest my detox was so awful and the insomnia so bad that I have spent a lot of time just laying in bed reading and napping when I can. I have tried to make a meeting a day but am not always successful. I do not have much in way of support except for my daughter but she lives 40 minutes away and works a tough schedule. I do try to see her as much as I can on my day off. I am hoping soon I have the energy to start really looking for a job and work on all those little projects around the house. We have quite a bit in common, I "only" really drank heavily for the last 5 years or so but, boy, did it do a number on my life!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree we do have quite a bit in common! My detox wasn't that bad honestly, its the everyday things that I have to do that are the issue... I could have easily been an everyday drinker but wasn't. Instead I would drink massive amounts of beer or rum and would go for a day or 2 until my body just gave up and crashed. This started about 6 years ago and developed over the years into something that most cant even grasp if I try to explain it. I have known that ive had a real problem for years now and admitted to myself and family back in 2010. I was sober for 105 days then and fell off the wagon once I thought I had control. Needless to say I never had control!! This time I have totally cut out any bad influences like friends, family or anyone else that drinks or uses. There was no one left when I was finished!! lol
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ironman9292 View Post
I agree we do have quite a bit in common! My detox wasn't that bad honestly, its the everyday things that I have to do that are the issue... I could have easily been an everyday drinker but wasn't. Instead I would drink massive amounts of beer or rum and would go for a day or 2 until my body just gave up and crashed. This started about 6 years ago and developed over the years into something that most cant even grasp if I try to explain it. I have known that ive had a real problem for years now and admitted to myself and family back in 2010. I was sober for 105 days then and fell off the wagon once I thought I had control. Needless to say I never had control!! This time I have totally cut out any bad influences like friends, family or anyone else that drinks or uses. There was no one left when I was finished!! lol
That last line made me LOL. Rum was my drink of choice and once I lost my job, two years ago, it quickly became an all day, everyday sort of deal. This is my third attempt at sobriety and I am determined to succeed. I do not want to lose my house and everything I have worked so hard for the last 30 years. Hope I can pull that off. You are lucky detox was not bad, I did it cold turkey at home alone, I am very thankful I did not have a seizure or a heart attack. Worst three days of my life, I use the thought of going through that again to keep me on the right path. Are you attending meetings?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No meetings as of yet. I am still trying to find the right approach and meetings may be the way to go. I know exactly how you feel about going through detox alone, I did the same and quit cold turkey as well. I have also been trying to put down the cigarettes as well. I haven't had one of those little b@$T@*#$ in 8 days now and I already feel better! lol I know how you feel about losing everything, ive been there. I really don't want to go down that road again.. So I use it as a driving force as well!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, you gave up cigarettes too? Good for you, I am smoking like a chimney. I figure one vice at a time. I have been to 4 AA meetings and have yet to really "feel it" not sure what I am going to end up doing. This forum has been extremely helpful and supportive. Hang tough.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Got it..it's not everyday for me but cash in hand drink wanted. Keep going. 4 days now a problem for me.

Just do it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yessum! I quit the smokes too! This forum seems awesome so far, I have insomnia tonight but reading these posts has somewhat kept my mind from wandering. So far!! lol
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

gigi,

I have had the same issue in the past. I used to get paid and immediately beer up or hit the bar! This went on for years, even before I knew I had a problem. However, I have recently had horrible experiences with my 2 older brothers and it really hit me hard. I have watched them go from awesome individuals to pond scum over the years. I see myself being very similar when I reach their age if I live that is. That's really hard for me to accept considering my achievements in life. A real eye opener so to speak. I know that's not really advice but it has helped me so far.. Honestly just venting about things on here has helped me a lot!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I bow to your greatness for kicking both habits at the same time! I have insomnia nearly every night since I quit drinking, hope that changes soon. I can relate to your brother story as well, I have one that is impossible to explain. The police know his address by heart. I too have (or had) two older brothers, one passed away this past January at the age of 52. Sadly, he was not a drunk but a really decent guy. You will live Ironman as long as you stay the course!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks and im sorry to hear about your brother. He wasn't much older than mine. As far as insomnia, last night was my first hard night with it. I think it was insomnia with a lot of anxiety to be honest. Either way I just about watched the sun rise lol. I hope its not like that every night. Before it was just an abundance of energy, but this time it seems different.. Oh well, day at a time!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ironman, New here and 7 days sober...? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. I was lost for quite some time and just suffered through it all and now I'm 3 years sober and beginning to appreciate it. Rootin for ya.