Notices

Crap Day

Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crap Day

In some sort of lousy emotional headspace. I don't want to drink, if I did I would likely kill myself...so I guess that's good news. The not wanting to drink. I'm not too sure how to do "lousy days". I guess today I am afraid that sobriety won't turn me into a normal, functioning adult. I feel like I don't know how to "do" life. I feel like a defiant teenager...self centered...who doesn't want to clean her room or pick up after herself. I feel like I don't know how to "function" like a regular person. I feel like I can't live up to my own friggin standards and that frightens me. I don't want to dislike myself the rest of my life. I'm so bloody tired of it. Sorry..I'm just venting. I don't seem to know what else to do with myself.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about just try to relax and roll with it.

You don't have to have the answers today.

I have these kinds of days too and it seems like life is just one big question that i just can't find the answers to anything.

just know that you are ok today
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Hi Nuudawn,

I don't post very often, but I read SR almost everyday.

Some of your posts to others have encouraged me.

Think of all the people you have helped.

Sorry you're having a bad day. You know things wiil get better!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think your bio-rhythms are down. It happens. From what I can tell, normies don't do "lousy" any better.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fortunately this to shall pass if we let it. Life is not the bowl of cherries I expected when I got sober, in fact I was being tested on a daily basis it seemed. Quite often I had to say:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference. Still do. BE WELL
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry you're having a craptastic day. I had a craptastic three weeks and also thought, "I am freakin' SOBER now, isn't some of this stuff going to start to be a little easier?" Made me feel like a complete self-centered brat and...surprise! I was indeed acting like a complete, self-centered brat. But hot damn it felt good...in a bad sort of way.

It happens. As peanut suggests, just roll with it. It does pass. In the meantime, try to do something you enjoy as much as it feels like the last thing you want to do at the moment. I have found distraction to be key during these nasty moods.

And it definitely takes awhile for us to learn to like ourselves again.

In the meantime, I happen to like you a lot. Love your posts and your fabulous wit.

You'll get through this, Nuu. In the meantime, sending you lots of hugs.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry you're feeling down today Nuudawn. These days are bound to happen for everyone. Not just those in recovery. Glad you don't feel like drinking though - that is good news. Just roll with the day and perhaps tomorrow you'll feel a bit better.

Like TexasMichael said - think of all the people here you've helped - myself included.

Keep your head up - things will get better!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt the same way yesterday. It is what it is. This too shall pass.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It happens, and it stinks!!! Best thing you can do is give yourself permission to have the crapest day ever, really push the boat out and leave the dishes until tomorrow.

No one can feel on top of the world all of the time, but for us alcoholics we're used to blaming the hangover.

Stick with it, it will pass.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi Nuudawn. You are so encouraging to others I have no doubt that what will become of this is more insight for you. Love the way you put things.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Normal functioning adults.....there aren't as many out there as you think there are. We all have issues of some sort. Both good, bad and everywhere in between. Life is a journey my friend....don't be afraid to live it. You don't have to nor will you be perfect at it. That is how we learn....from our bad choices. You just have to live simply today. Tomorow will come when it is ready. That is the beauty of living one day at a time
Old 07-30-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nuudawn. I can relate to what you are experiencing. It is not fun to be in a lousy space, not knowing how to function. Take it moment by moment. Is there an activity that you could do to get you out of your head for awhile?
What if you didn't clean your room? What if you didn't do what you " think" you have to do? What would happen? Ride the wave. We are here for ya.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What ever you do dont drink.
I spent 4 months sober and decided to drink. The classic "controlled drinking" yea right.
It didn't work out at all.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Nuudawn,
I am sorry you are feeling blue. It will pass.....eventually. Sometimes just venting makes you feel better. Go ahead and vent some more.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i feel exactly the same.

and if i don't feel any better, why am i bothering?

hope you feel better missus

x
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bad days happen. Sometimes they turn into bad weeks or months. That is life, whether we are alcoholic or not.

Being sober just means we have got more means at our disposal to work through feelings and move forward. Drinking means we are stuck in them, and the good times get further away from us.

Sorry you've had a bad day, hope tomorrow will be a better one for you. If you're sober, there's every chance it will be x
Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that I had very few, if any, life skills when I stopped drinking. My emotional age was probably ridiculously young and my recovery has been a process of growing up.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for both your empathy ..and your wisdom. Thank you for telling me it's quite alright to have a crap day. And yes, I pulled the boat right out and didn't do the dishes..or pick up the clothes scattered around my room : ) I left the house. That was probably a good idea. I washed my truck. I did some errands. I lived I guess..lol.

Thank you to those who let me know that I have helped at times as that means so very, very much to me. You have no idea! And thank you Silentrun for reminding me that even in misery..we grow and glean insight...perhaps especially so.

Thank you Anna for stating the obvious..lol..I have no idea how to do this but that's what this is all about : )

This is an amazing community that I feel very blessed to have as part of my recovery. It is the port in my storm. And for now, I'm really, really happy to be in port.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

The good thing is that now lousy days are just that - a day...not the weeks or months they used to be when I fuelled them with alcohol and whatever else was handy.

I hope tomorrow will be better Nuudawn

D
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's ok to have a lousy day. It happens You are just fine, and you give much wisdom and insight to us all here... so, I have faith in you

Hey... I bet we all started at ridiculously young emotional ages once sober, you know? Most of us anyways. Just embrace it. Go with it. And remember that nothing stays the same. It's all in a constant state of flux. Both the good and the bad.

Looking back on today a year from now you'll see just how much you've grown. And looking back right now on a year ago... well, I bet you see just how much you've changed for the better already