Notices

Edi

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Edi

Edi

Please help!!!
I was sober for over 2 yrs after being a dependent drinker at the age of 19. My husband and I met in rehab and stupidly thought it would be ok to drink on our honeymoon! He has been fine and been able to continue drinking (as his main issue was drug) however I did not handle it so well. Had a few slip ups, timed nicely with a few miscarriages. Then when it came to a head I stopped drinking again for over a year. We have recently moved state away from all supports and the alcoholic demon in me has reared his ugly head. It is at a point now where if I stuff up again my husband will leave!!
Please help!!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey Edi, welcome to SR.

My advice would be to turn focus away from what might happen were you to drink again. There's a lot of things that could happen, but those are all things you cannot control. The thing you can take control of, which is better for your peace of mind and handling that demon, are the things you've done or can do to ensure your own sobriety.

Are you in a community where there is AA or other alcoholic support groups? Maybe talk here about things you've done in the past that've kept you clean for over a year now? Urges are scary things, but sometimes it's better to look at what power you have in your hands than worry over what could be.

And does he know you're having these thoughts?

Sending thoughts of peace and strength your way.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you are ready to stop drinking, and you will find lots of support here. Yes, it's hard to do and we understand that, but you can get through it. Try to not focus on your husband's demands, but do this for yourself first. Yes, it will help your marriage and yes, it will help you be a better mother, when the time comes, but for now, do it for you.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Edi

I think Anna gives some great advice - do this for you.

you'll find a lot of support here

D