Notices

Sugar problems?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar problems?

So I am having sugar cravings like for chocolate? And really nasty headaches in the middle of the night. Is this part of my body detoxing or maybe it was so use to the alcohol that now it is throwing me off? I didn't drink everyday but I had enough the days that I did to be hungover a couple days a week.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to say because everyone is different. I had what I called "sober hangovers" for about a month after I stopped drinking/using. I'd wake up in the morning with a headache, dehydrated, aches and pains, etc. Apparently a lot of people have had similar symptoms. I didn't drink every day either but apparently I drank enough to send my body into a tailspin.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the sugar cravings. Ate chocolate every night. About to hit 3 months, and the have just recently gone away. Yay for my weight loss regime:-)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

drink a lot of water

yes, I love my sugar today (started in early sobriety)

exercise, eat right and don't over-do that sugar....also watch the caffeine intake.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try eating more fats and proteins. You will crave sugar less. Also, look up glutamine and consider taking that (and consult your doctor, as its a supplement and we can't offer medical advice on here). I take it daily in powder form and it seems to help balance and regulate blood sugar. I can drink coffee and not have those huge crashes from it now because of the glutamine.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me it is very strange I don't have a sweet tooth but the past few days I crave chocolate .. Thanks for the advice guys I will look into the supplements and might just start low carb diet... But for a few more days I will just have some chocolate lol. I am new to recovery and easy does it in changing my habits...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's completely natural to crave sugar. I do eat cookies and ice cream and chocolate milk daily since I quit drinking, but I try to keep it at a minimum and balance it out with healthy foods. It's better to indulge in sweets than alcohol.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Silvy69 View Post
So I am having sugar cravings like for chocolate? And really nasty headaches in the middle of the night. Is this part of my body detoxing or maybe it was so use to the alcohol that now it is throwing me off? I didn't drink everyday but I had enough the days that I did to be hungover a couple days a week.
Silvy - I had major chocolate cravings today and made a 9x13 inch pan of brownies (fudgey type) complete with dark chocolate icing. I ate 3 big pieces and now feel really awful - couple that with drinking about 4 cups of super strong coffee this morning and I've been bouncing off the walls. I'm taking the brownie over to my neighbours tomorrow - good riddance.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow that is a lot of sugar and caffeine Lucille.. I only gave in last night with the chocolate and woke up at 4 am with a killer headache... The throbbing type on my left side... I don't keep it in the house so to have sugar I have to drive to the store... Not going to happen very often..
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't do that very often. Usually, I will eat dark chocolate (about 90 percent cocoa) and a few pieces of that satisfies me (and it's not loaded with sugar). And don't usually drink so much coffee. I just came off a juice fast and this is the way I ended it. Kind of defeated the purpose of the fast.

I get those throbbing headaches on the left side on very rare occasions - mine seem like a drill is going through my left eye. The only thing that seems to help is sleep. Thankfully, they are extremely rare.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is the chocolate that I like Lucille the darker the better . How many days did u do the juice fast? I can't do them.. I get so hungry.