Notices

Nine Days Sober and Dreaming About Drinking

Old 07-29-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Nine Days Sober and Dreaming About Drinking

THIS HAPPENS EVERY TIME I BEGIN SOBRIETY.

The last couple nights I have dreams about drinking. Not only am I drinking, but the negative repercussions of drinking don't seem to appear in my dreams. Hmm. After about a week, I start to crave the beer. I have empty Sprite cans looming around in my room, so substitution is working for now.I can control my actions in my conscious work but what about my unconscious one? How powerful are these thoughts or even fantasies? Any advice or similar stories?

In the past 9 years the longest I have been sober is 18 days. I plan to keep my days in much larger figures.

-Maureen
Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

They are just dreams. Your mind is working things out at night. After some sober time they won't happen so often.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the same dreams the last time I quit drinking 15 years ago. I am only 4 days into my sobriety right now and so far no drinking dreams. However, prior to quitting drinking, I had dreams that I quit drinking. Hang in there!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maureen, I'm 5 days sober and was having very vivid strange dreams last night. Woke this morning feeling very anxious and depressed after a restless night. This has happened to me every time I have attempted getting sober. I have no explanation as to why it happens, all I know is that these restless nights do go away and the depression and anxiety does get better.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the first month of my sobriety I drank roughly a 12 pack of seltzer every day. I kept thinking "giving a rubber bone to a staving dog". It worked though. I think keeping well hydrated was a good move.

I been sober/clean for four months. I still have vivid dreams about tripping. Usually it involves seeing some band I love in a tiny venue. Fantasy fodder. Over time these dreams have started to fade but still pop up.

It takes time to heal I guess.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had some drinking dreams in my first couple months sober. They are disturbing but think of it like a memory your mind is just passing through. Sometimes I dream of an ex from 10 years ago but doesn't mean I want to get back with him My sponser calls these dreams "freebies" Because we get to use without the consequences. I never enjoyed them though because I would wake up terrified I relapsed for a few seconds. Keep close to SR, post and read, it helped me greatly in the earlier times. And now as well!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dreamt I was drinking a huge glass of beer, and I'm not even a beer drinker usually! In my dream I started to panic, thinking, I'm not supposed to be doing this!