Notices

Day 1

Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi All,

Just a note to say I'm new to the forum and am on (a cranky) Day 1 but relieved to sense that the old me is just not the path I'm to be taking anymore. I really want to move beyond this struggle and am eager to get past the first week. I've heard week one and week three are typically the toughest. Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Welcome and congrats on getting started!

Honestly, the first few days are tough for everyone. The first few weeks are tough for most of us. What I would recommend to anyone during those difficult times is 1) see a doctor if you're having physical withdrawals, 2) get involved with a support group, 3) exercise, and 4) get some new hobbies, things that you didn't do when you were drinking or using. The exercise will help level out your moods and hopefully sleep well and the new hobbies will help you avoid cravings because your mind doesn't associate them with drinking/using. It's very important to stay mentally active and avoid boredom. And the support group is a must for most of us. There's just something about interacting with people who have climbed the mountain you're climbing.

Best of luck to you. It's worth it more than you know and you can definitely do it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ClausthalerNA

I think it varies for most people - depending on your drug of choice and your own general health, you might find you're ok after a few days....or it might take a month to start to feel normal.

welcome aboard here anyway - you'll find a lot of support

D
Old 07-29-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the notes above. I've been a wine drinker (at times vodka) for years. A year of unemployment put me on a slippery slope to going from one btl of wine a night to two, sometimes more if I started early in the day. I tapered yesterday, so am not in hot sweats or having physical discomfort. Just boredom and a bit of anxiety. I'm training for a half marathon, so that should help. I can generally go cold-turkey when necessary (with family) but on my own, at home alone is the toughest. Thanks for the encouragement! I know it's going to enrich my life immensely.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me the first week was tough but I felt so many positive changes. What hit me after was all the underlying problems that were causing me to drink/use. They were all there staring me in the face. I've failed at sobriety more times than I can count. This time, I hope, will be different because I've been working hard to face those underlying problems.

Hang in there. I hope you're back tomorrow posting about day 2.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and best wishes on your road to recovery!

For me, the toughest part was tapering before I actually went down to zero. I immediately started getting withdrawal symptoms from the start of tapering. Once I got past 24 hours without any alcohol, my symptoms went away.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone! I'm waking up feeling better, kicking off Day 2 with a smile and gratitude for your kind words of encouragement.

I did have several NA "beers" to get me through a lonely evening yesterday...along with water, tea and a long bath. Yes, I know there is debate on NA but it's early days and felt like I needed the crutch.

I know many of you will know what I mean when I say I never want to repeat a Day 1. Hot sweats? No thx!!